Bluejohn Canyon

Bluejohn Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Album

Bluejohn Canyon

This is Bluejohn Canyon in Southeast Utah. The canyon became world famous after Aaron Ralston had his epic descent of the canyon in 2003.

I believe we did the first documented descent (the ancient cultures probably found a way through a long time ago and were probably the first visitors-pictographs in well known Horseshoe Canyon [non-technical] below Bluejohn date back 3000-8000 years ago) of the entire canyon (head to mouth) when I led a WMC trip in the mid 1990’s. We found it to be a great canyon.

I also told a famous guidebook author of the canyon, but asked that it not be published. Even so, I was surprised when it actually showed up at the top of the best adventures ever in a book that published a few years later.

Because Bluejohn Canyon has showed up in this and now two other guidebooks, and several websites, plus in countless media reports after Aaron’s epic descent, the place has become world famous. What before saw almost no visitors, now sees at least 100 or possibly several more visitors a year and has become one of the most popular and famous slot canyons in Utah.

I have been there several times. The photos in this album were taken in Bluejohn Canyon only weeks before Aaron cut his arm off, but none of the photos are taken in that exact spot.

External Links

Several Media Stories on Bluejohn Canyon

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 22, 2006 3:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice album

And a decent enough canyon. The climb out of the main fork was a blast.

John Styrnol

John Styrnol - Jun 12, 2007 8:44 pm - Hasn't voted

BlueJohn Canyon

Did Little BlueJohn and then went up the main fork to the drop. Very scenic canyon.

Scott

Scott - Jun 13, 2007 3:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: BlueJohn Canyon

Funny you post this message now. I just had a write up completed for the canyon. Anyway, Bluejohn is now on SP.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.