Bonanza Peak from the Upper Lyman Basin

Bonanza Peak from the Upper Lyman Basin

Bonanza Peak from the Upper Lyman Basin south of Lyman Lake. August 2000.
Bob Bolton
on Sep 27, 2001 9:24 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 2123

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-12 of 12
scot'teryx

scot'teryx - Oct 17, 2001 11:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Approach

How bad is this appraoch?

It looks nice, but for something that's not that traveled, it's gotta be rough, like a Glacier Peak approach or something.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Oct 24, 2001 6:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Approach

Not quite sure what your question is. Are you wondering if the route I'm on is a good approach to Bonanza? If so, it's really not too bad to come in over Spider Gap then down to the mountain. It is farther to hike than coming up from Holden, but may not take any more time because of the shuttle bus and boat scheduling issues with the Holden route. The route I'm on is not at all difficult actually, as many backpackers get a taste of cross-country travel on this loop. If you're not familiar, the loop to which I refer is the one from Phelps Creek to Buck Creek, going over Spider Gap, Cloudy Pass, Suiattle Pass, Middle Ridge, and Buck Creek Pass. I did that trip in 2000, spending a day on Miner's Ridge. Great trip!

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2002 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

Drop dead gorgeous

When I saw this one today, Wow was the word that immediately came out. WOW. Calendar quality.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Dec 20, 2002 12:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Drop dead gorgeous

Thanks again Dean! The WOW part is caused by the mountain scenery itself. You'll just have to join my friends and me for some trips up into that country. Of course next summer's main focus for me (in the NCs) is Buckner and Bonanza, if those might be of interest to you. And I'm hoping to do Olympus as well. But as great as the Olympics are, they don't hold a candle to the North Cascades. :-)

Bob

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2002 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Drop dead gorgeous

True that the WoW part is caused by the scenery but the guy behind the camera has to capture it like you do. There are a lot of pics of great scenery that doesn't do justice but, you sir, are consistant in your quality.

Email me the dates you're planning on those trips when you get a chance.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 29, 2004 10:28 am - Voted 10/10

Amazing photograph, wonderful artistry!

This is the type of photo that makes people get in their cars and drive to the mountains. Absolutely beautiful!

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Jan 29, 2004 10:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing photograph, wonderful artistry!

Thanks very much! Happily there are no roads within view of Bonanza, due to its location deep inside Glacier Peak Wilderness. Bonanza is my top priority peak for 2004.



Bob

rpc

rpc - Jan 29, 2004 11:29 am - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Speechless!!!!!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 9, 2007 3:22 pm - Voted 10/10

I remember this image!

Really brings back memories for me. Had hiked to Spider Gap from Trinity in Sept 1987. Gee, still remember it like yesterday - how many actual (hiking) miles is it to the base of Bonanza? Awesome country!

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Sep 10, 2007 1:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I remember this image!

We approached Bonanza from Holden Village, camping at Holden Lake. I've never checked mileage from the Phelps Creek TH over to Bonanza, but that would probably be the shortest route to the mountain other than Holden Village. -Bob

Wingnut

Wingnut - Jul 23, 2009 12:08 am - Voted 10/10

Great shot!

Awesome photos Bob!

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Jul 23, 2009 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot!

Thanks Joel. But as you well know, I didn't make the beauty.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12