Book Cliffs Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Dean

Dean - Feb 1, 2009 6:22 am - Voted 10/10

Bison update

You mentioned that Bison were being re-introduced to the Book Cliffs. Here's the latest info on that effort link number one
Link number two
Link number three

You can delete this post any time you wish. You have put forth an awesome amount of effort on this page, thank you.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Feb 4, 2009 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bison update

Delete? Never! The links are spectacular and only add to the page and information for everyone. Thanks for taking the time, Dean to add the hyperlinks!

Scott

Scott - Oct 17, 2014 1:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Uranium

As far as I know, I don't think that there is any uranium or has been any uranium mining in the Book Cliffs. The uranium in the region is usually in the Moss Back Member/Shinarump Conglomerate which is far older than the strata in the Book Cliffs.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 19, 2014 7:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Uranium

Cool. Thanks for the beta, Scott. After some years of neglect, I'm rehashing the page with current information. I'll add this when I get to the Geology section.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Oct 28, 2014 8:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Uranium

I agree with Scott, there has not actually been any uranium mining done in this area however the Mancos Shale does contain small amounts of Uranium inclusive minerals originating from the carbon rich, reduced environment that was the shallow sea floor 50-65 million years ago. Where the uranium actually came from is highly debated but small amounts of it exist...although nowhere near enough to be mined like the Uranium deposits found in the Chinle Formation.

One thing to correct though Scott, the Shinarump member is a white, quartz rich sandstone sitting directly below the Chinle Formation, which is where the Uranium rich deposits were mined. The Shinarump isn't found everywhere and doesn't really host much uranium.

Scott

Scott - Dec 8, 2019 8:10 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Uranium

Missed this early, but the Shinarump and Mossback members are related and part of the Chinle. Most uranium mines are in the Morrison and then the Shinarump/Moss Back members of the Chinle. The uranium in the Chinle is mostly from the Shinarump/Moss Back members.

Scott

Scott - Dec 8, 2019 8:18 am - Voted 10/10

Pictographs

The areas only settlers of any notable habitation were the Fremont People (named for the Fremont River in Capitol Reef National Park) but they disappeared around 1,250AD.

This may interest you. The Barrier Canyon sytle Pictographs in places like Sego Canyon and Thompson Canyon (and in other places in the Book Cliffs) are much older than the Fremont Culture.

See here (though the article erroniously refers to the pictographs and petroglyphs):

Sego Canyon

The Sego Canyon pictographs themselves are known to range from 3000-8000 years old, which is much older than the Fremont Cultrue. There are also Fremont Culture petroglyphs there, some of which have been chipped over the older pictographs. There are also Ute petroglyphs at the site.

The Utes also lived in and used the Book Cliffs. The top of much of the Book Cliffs and the east side of Desolation Canyon is still part of the Ute reservation. Some still like in the area of the Book Cliffs, such around Florence Creek.


Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Book Cliffs' main page