Breitspitze Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - Oct 18, 2013 3:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Photos!

This is really a great set of photos to enhance a well-done page.

rgg

rgg - Oct 19, 2013 2:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Photos!

Thanks. I only wished I had a good one from Partenen too...

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 20, 2013 7:00 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Photos!

I agree about the nice flower shots. Austrianmaps claims the name is Breiter Spitz and the elevation is 2203m. Actually in German it's "der Spitz" but "die Spitze" so that the correct name is either Breiter Spitz or Breite Spitze.

BTW: there's a funny book by Mark Twain in which he complains about the German language ;-)

rgg

rgg - Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Photos!

For me, the key thing about the name is that I don't know if it's called Breiter Spitz (never mind if it's written as one word or two) because of the broad and hardly rising east ridge, or for some other reason. Perhaps there was actually somebody by the name of Breit, Breite or Breiter. Therefore I didn't even attempt to get my German grammar correct. Not that I'm an expert at that anyway; my vocabulary is fine, but my grammar could be better. As long as I only talk German that's not a problem. Writing is a lot harder, so thanks for the addition.

The Freytag & Berndt map that I carried at the time avoids at least part of the problem by abbreviating the name to it Breiter Sp. I assumed it meant Spitze, for surely it couldn't be a reference to SummitPost, could it? I didn't realize it could mean Spitz as well. But following up on your comments, I decided to chang the mountain name from Breiter Spitze to Breitspitze, and gave Breiter Spitz as alternate name since it makes more sense that way, grammatically speaking.

As it happens, not even the locals can make up their mind. On different nearby signposts I saw Breitspitz as well as Breitspitze. Unless there really was a guy by the name of Breit, my assumption was that the Vorarlberg dialect simply has a slightly different grammar and abbreviates the adjective to Breit.

The Breitspitze on the AMAP site that I checked gives the Breitspitze an elevation of 2196m, the same as the F&B map. To add more confusion, the small booklet accompanying the F&B map has a short route description, but disagrees with the map and also gives 2203m. I'll stick with the elevation on the maps I consulted.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 21, 2013 2:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Photos!

Yes, you see it must be an important mountain if it has so many elevations and different names :-) And yes, in these cases more often than not even the locals use different names.

The reason I commented was that while attaching the page to Silvretta (rather placing a link there) I found I had 2203m, which I also found on the downloaded map from austrianmaps. The difference is slight in any case.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Breitspitze' main page