Brighton Ridge Run (section)

Brighton Ridge Run (section)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.57710°N / 111.5938°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Basic Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive to Brighton Ski Resort at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Use the Lake Mary Trailhead, which begins at the Brighton Ski Lodge, which is at the far end of the skier parking lot.

Route Description


Brighton Ridge Run (To Pioneer Peak):
Distance: TBA
Elevation Gain: 2,100'
Follow the Lake Mary Trail 0.73 miles to the turnoff to Dog Lake. Take the turnoff. As you near Dog Lake, the trail will split - take the left fork. The trail will gradually ascend as it traverses across the Brighton Ski Resort. Slightly farther than 1.21 miles from Dog Lake the trail reaches the ridgeline at a cat-track linking the Snake Creek lift to the Great Western lift. This point is known as Snake Creek Pass.
Walk towards the Snake Creek lift and travel cross-country over peak 10315. The terrain is fairly open, and occasionally a use-trail is visible. Eventually the Crest Express lift is reached. Continue along the ridgeline over peak 10321. As you go over the far side of the peak, a much better defined use trail can be seen below to the left. Follow this trail to the saddle below Pioneer Peak and all the way to the summit.
From the Pioneer Peak summit, the use-trail continues down the west side of the mountain to a saddle before ascending the ridgeline to Sunset Peak. Multiple trails have formed from lack of maintanence, so take care to stay on what seems to be the track that is more likely to be a main trail. The trail becomes sandy, but soon the ground turns back to rock as the trail crosses the ridge to the east, making narrow switchbacks until the summit of Sunset Peak is gained. From here, one can make an easy descent via a maintained trail to Catherine Pass to descend to Brighton or Alta.

Essential Gear


10 Essentials. In winter, bring an avy beacon, and either snowshoes or skis.



Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.