Bruce Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.99520°N / 81.2363°W
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Bruce Trail is the oldest and longest continuous footpath in Canada. It runs along the Niagara Escarpment from Niagara to Tobermory, spanning more than 850 km of main trail and 250 km of side trails. The section of trail through Lions Head peninsula is about 5.5KM to McKay's harbour from where the Trail leaves Moore St. From there the trail continues another 7km to McCague Rd.

Getting There

From Highway 6, take a right onto Bruce Rd 9(Turns int Ferndale Rd.), follow this into the town of Lions Head. Take a left on Main st, and a right onto Moore St. Go up a big hill, when you get to a sharp left there is parking on the left. To get to the trail hike down Moore St, the entrance to the trail will be on your left about 500m down the road.

Route Description

The beginning of the trail winds though the woods for about 1.5Kms. Along here you will run into a sink hole which has had the side removed to create a nice circular cave.
When you reach the first lookout it will seem to come out of nowhere. Great views across Whippoorwill Bay and into the Town of Lions Head. From here you will continue along the top of the cliffs for another 1.5-2Km
At the 5km mark you will reach the campsite at McKay's harbour. This is a very nice private site with a beautiful view across Georgian Bay.

External Links

The Bruce Trail System Website

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.