Bull Elk Scratching

Bull Elk Scratching

Ever wonder if they sometimes poke themselves when they do this? Rocky Mountain National Park, CO-- October 2013
Bob Sihler
on Jun 4, 2014 9:06 am
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 899528

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 4, 2014 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Magnificent

Have you ever held an antler? I always wonder about how strong they must be to carry the weight of them.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jun 4, 2014 3:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Magnificent

Not sure, but I think the antlers are, for the most part, hollow and light. When they fight by banging their heads together, the sound of antlers colliding is kind of hollow and resonating. It's like when you tap a ripe watermelon.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 4, 2014 4:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Magnificent

I've found some antlers in Yellowstone that were close to five feet long each. Each one had to weigh at least a few pounds; they were stout enough to use as trekking poles had I wanted!

Of course, their necks are so thick and strong that they must not feel the weight that much.

Magnificent animals indeed. There's nothing like seeing them move through the high country with all their power and majesty.

reboyles

reboyles - Jun 6, 2014 11:30 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Magnificent

I found a massive set of elk antlers while working on a thinning project near the Lolo Trail. They were a few feet from each other which I've been told is rare because they usually knock them off at different times. They had been in the snow since early winter and were in pristine condition. Each one weighed maybe 8 lbs or more with the fresh cartilage still in them. I always regretted not bringing them home (because I didn't have to kill an animal to get them) but they wouldn't fit into the back of my VW Rabbit no matter how I tried to twist them in.

Bob

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 6, 2014 3:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Magnificent

You could have lashed them to the hood and looked like one of the locals! ;-)

Wasatch Summits

Wasatch Summits - Jun 6, 2014 12:31 am - Voted 10/10

I wish I had horns too...

to itch those harder to reach areas! Cool photo.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 6, 2014 8:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I wish I had horns too...

Yeah, me too, though I envision impaling myself!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jun 6, 2014 2:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I wish I had horns too...

Have you heard of back scratchers? I have a telescopic one, and one that has a shoes horn on the other end.

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - Jun 6, 2014 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Shot!

Your technique of a stealthy approach obviously works well. Seems like every time I get within 1/4 mile of elk, they run.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 8, 2014 3:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Shot!

I wish I could claim a stealthy approach, but the elk of Moraine Park are practically tame!

silversummit

silversummit - Jun 6, 2014 9:05 pm - Voted 10/10

They are heavy!

Years ago I toured/camped across Canada/USA for six weeks with a high school group. One student found some antlers and decided to bring them home from Canada (this was long ago and legal at the time) with us. They practically filled the trunk of my Plymouth Duster and being rather 'fresh' still they also stank pretty bad.... We ended up buying air freshener drops almost every day to keep the smell tolerable. And once we arrived back to Maryland, said student's parents wouldn't allow them anywhere near her home so they ended up in the county landfill.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 8, 2014 3:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: They are heavy!

What a sad fate for something so beautiful.

silversummit

silversummit - Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: They are heavy!

I agree....If I had not lived in an apartment at the time I would have taken them myself.

Things have really changed over the years though as to possession of animal parts etc.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13