Camino de los Riscos

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.36052°N / 16.87944°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tenerife north coastView across Baranco del Torre

Camino de los Riscos is one of the main hiking trails in the north of Tenerife. It connects Buenavista del Norte with the Teno high plateau and the village of Teno Alto upon it. It runs through a steep canyon, keeping on the western side. On a sunny day the canyon will get extremely hot so do your ascent in the early hours of the morning. The path is steep and a little exposed in its upper sections. From where it heads out to the Teno Plateau a short sidestep (descent) leads to Roque El Toscon above the north coast. From Teno Alto a 1-2h trail takes you to the perfect lookout summit of Baracàn.

Getting There

The trailhead for Camino de los Riscos is to the west of Buanavista del Norte. See the instructions on the Roque El Toscon main page for more information.

Route Description

Montaña de TacoUpon Camino de los Riscos

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 50m
      - Summit altitude: 611m (Roque El Toscon) / 1003m (Baracàn)
      - Prevailing exposure: E
      - Type: 2h / 4h one way
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 600m / 1100m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 / 2 - Depending on the heat
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy all the way - only the summit of El Toscon is a bit exposed
  • Orientation: 2 - Tricky on the colourful plateau between Roque Marubio and Roque el Toscon

    From the trailhead head south to the left of the water reservoirs. Once you have passed the second one a slippery path heads up to the right soon regaining the creek bed in the middle of the canyon. After some 400m of a rocky scramble the path leaves the bed, scrambling up the right (western) sides. It always stays on this western side of the canyon following the terrain in bold sweeping switchbacks. Two side canyons are passed before the main valley bends westward, directly heading up to the Teno Plateau.

    Tthe path gets more pronounced up here and negotiates several ledges, suddenly turning north towards the east face of Roque Marubio. Right underneath the rock it turns back and after several hundred meters more heads out on the plateau. Where it does so you will find an old meeting point of the Guanches, the pre-hispanic inhabitants of the Canaries, a circle of low stones, almost placed like benches.


    Roque El Toscon


    For Roque El Toscon turn north from the Guanches meeting point and try to gain the ridge which runs from Roque Marubio to Roque El Toscon. It soon gets wider, in fact forming a small plateau of its own. This plateau is formed from sedimentary rock of all colours with deep ruts in between. Try to keep some landmarks in mind - It'll help you with your orientation on your return.

    Once you turn the last of the hoodoos of this erosion plain you soon see Roque El Toscon beyond a small saddle. Descent into it using a short chimney and scramble on up the summit via the south flanks of Roque El Toscon.
    Roque MarubioRoque Marubio from Roque El Toscon


    Baracàn


    Return to the Guanche Meeting point and follow the marked trail which leads south-westward to a col on the Teno Plain. Here descend towards a country road, which you can take to get to Teno Alto. There is a path cutting short a long switchback but only take this in dry conditions. The soil is very soft and eroded and can get very slippery.
    Roque de la CruzRoque de la Cruz

    From Teno Alto follow the signs to Tabaiba Pass (the sign claims 2 1/2h but it's closer to one). First follow a road until you reach the last houses of the hamlet. From where it bends westwards follow it 300m until a sign leads through another colourful red gully into a dark laurisilva laurel forest. Several parallel paths lead through this forest but all return back to the daylight very close to each other on the Baracàn north-west ridge. Always follow this ridge until you get to the base of the Baracàn summit block, where a small side path turns off from the main path which leads on to Tabaiba Pass.
    The Baracn summit in front of Teide

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear and lots of water on a sunny day.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    BaracànRoutes