Canal Oeste de Fontún

Canal Oeste de Fontún

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.06000°N / 5.36°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Fontún Village take a road without paviment which crosses the Fontún River, you have a little bridge. By the way, you have a fountain on your left before you cross the brigde, in case you want fresh water. This road takes you to the Collada de Gete, the big rounded col you can see beetwen the Fontún peak and the other mountain on the right.

This time we are leaving the road when we are in front of a space between two rocks of the peak. It seens there is a big curve to right that goes up. This is the big Canal Oeste, the West corridor. It´s simple. Just take this intuitive path to the top!


Route Description

Going along the Canal Oeste:

You´ll see little paths made by animals and water in spring at first. It could be a good idea to use it. The rest it´s just go up along the corridor to the High col on the top. If there isn´t snow you´ll get it soon.

The High col:

As you can see there is such a col at the end of the end of the Canal Oeste. It has an "U" shape, taller on the left, so if you go next to the right wall as you are walking along the corridor you´ll get the col sooner.
On the col you´ll have nice views. If you are brave you can look down towards the Collada the Gete. and admire the tall wall you have below you.

Going to the top:

On the col looking on your left you can see a narrow hole on the rocks just going down. In winters it´s specially white because of the snow. It´s clear and easy to seek. If you prefer you can make a curve to the East going down.
The summit it´s no far. It´s on the East of the High col so you have to go down and right. You can´t see the summit from Villamanín and Fontún Village. Other rocks bellow hide it.

The summit:

You´ll know you are on the top because you´ll find a metal object with the name of the peak on it and the altitude.
You´ll see two a metal cilinder. It´s what we use to call a "buzón de cumbres", a summit post-box". If you have a look inside you´ll find pieces of paper of other people who climbed it before. Some of then gave a description of their trip and the date.
You can leave your own message, even you can send the messages you find to their owners on mail. Some people do it.

Going down:

a) Take just the opposite way.

b) Go to the East, you´ll find a big corridor which goes up towards the Collada de Gete on your right hand. Just go along this corridor. It takes you to this grass col.
When you get the col just turn right. You´ll find the road you use in your appoaching. Use the road to go back to the Fontún village.

In the village again:

Crossing back the bridge you´ll find again the fountain. Are your boots dirty? It´s your opportunity to clean it!

In the village there at least two places to eat something. It´s not expensive at all and you can taste the tipical dishes, with authentic home-made style.


Essential Gear

No ropes needed. In winter it´s a good idea to wear crampons in some parts of the trip, specially near the High col and the final stage to the summit. At this point the snow could be frozen.
I think you won´t need an ice axe. Maybe with a pole it could be enought if you are using your crampons. Even you can leave your crampons and use an ice axe to break the frozen snow making steps... as a challenge. It could be a bit dangerous but I really thing it´s possible and the hazard it´s not too much.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.