Casaval Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 22, 2007 5:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Ahhh !

From what I understand, you did the Rim to Rim hike
across the Grand Canyon, too! Great accomplishment!
Hey ... take care of yourself!

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jan 9, 2008 8:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Camping

Can you suggest a good place to camp in winter somewhere along this route? It would be a welcome addition to the page to add camping beta along the route.

Diggler

Diggler - Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm - Hasn't voted

additions

A few things would greatly improve the usefulness of the page.

What is the crux/what are the cruxes of the climb? What is the maximum steepness? I would suggest mentioning the variability of conditions/difficulty on the catwalk as potentially significant, depending on the snowpack.

Would a rope really be unnecessary for everyone? There is exposure in places that I would personally say would be excessive for beginners/those not comfortable with steep snow travel.

You should maybe take care to point out that there is one spot on the climb that has the potential for avalanches. Provide alternate descent options, & it is worth pointing out that while most of the route is safe from avalanches during unstable conditions, Avalanche Gulch is, well, an avalanche gulch. Providing a link to the Shasta avalanche conditions page would be a good edition.

Inserting elevations of noteable features along the route would be good to let potential climbers know what they're in for (the route has a good 8,000' vertical gain, to 14k'- this is significant, particularly for those not acclimatized).

The suggestion for adding camping information is a good one too.

I hope that this is helpful.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 4, 2009 10:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: additions

I am just sort of 'caretaking' the page. Would you want it? If so, let me know and I will transfer it to you.

Diggler

Diggler - Mar 5, 2009 6:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: additions

If you think that would be the best way to get things incorporated, sure. I'd be fine with having them added by you too. It's just a bigger route than some people realize, & this should be reflected in the page. Let me know which you prefer.

I anticipate heading up to Shasta/Trinity Alps/Castle Crags a number of times this season hopefully. If you're around & interested, I'll get the first round of beer at the local watering hole. Let me know.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Casaval Ridge' main page