Centennial Ridges Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.50000°N / 81.55°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


For directions on how to get to Algonquin Park see the ‘getting there’ section on the main page. From the Information Center at the parks west gate it is a 25 minute drive to the well marked trailhead, a distance of roughly 40km

Route Description


The trail itself moves to the north and doesn’t reach Bryant Ridge until kilometre 8.5. It is asked that you follow the loop in only one direction, though the trail sees little traffic and if one wanted to simply climb to the top of Brant Ridge to take in the views you could simply move to the south and then turn around after you’ve taken in the views from the top. One would miss some of the other really beautiful sections of the trail however and a chance to see some of the other myriad faces that the park offers to visitors.
The trail also offers great scenic views from Founder’s Ridge, near the top of MacDougall Mountain and Case’s Crest. All three open ridges are well worth taking the four hours out of your day to do the loop.
Guidebooks suggest that the trail should take between 4-6 hours, though I finished the trail in just under four with ease. It is also one of the more hilly trails in the province with a total elevation gain of around 400m which is lofty by Ontario standards.

Essential Gear


It is important to dress for whatever season you are visiting the park, though since this trail is closed for the winter I will assume that most would be using the trail between April and October.
A sturdy pair of hiking boots and a walking stick would be a good idea. Sun screen and plenty of drinking water would also be a good idea.
Also the weather can be dynamic year round so come prepared with some warm clothes and even a rain coat to be on the safe side.


Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.