Cerro Reclus

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 27.9185°S / 68.93329°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 20587 ft / 6275 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Situated between Monte Pissis to the north and Cerros Baboso and Veladero to the south, Cerro Reclus is an infrequently climbed summit that is nonetheless a topographically-prominent 6000 m mountain. It is most readily approached from the south or east, but - as with most peaks in this region - presents minimal technical challenge from any direction. Climbers should expect at the very worst moderate-angle snow or brief class 3 scrambling in the final few meters to the summit. The high altitude and expedition logistics will be the main challenge of most climbs on Reclus.

Reclus has two summits roughly 500 m apart horizontally and with about 60 m of prominence from the adjoining col. The two summits are similar in height, although SRTM data and the author's cursory GPS measurements both suggest the northern peak is marginally higher. That said, the southern summit is of much greater intrinsic interest due to the presence of Inca structures and artifacts.

Reclus - South
Reclus - South
Reclus - Northeast
Reclus - Northeast
Reclus - Terrain
Reclus - Terrain

Getting There

The easiest access is from Villa Unión in La Rioja province; this small town can be reached by bus or personal vehicle from most major population centers in the broader region. From there, one must travel northwest past Laguna Brava on RN76.

At times when the border crossing at Paso Pircas Negras is open (generally the summer season, but check ahead), this region can also be accessed starting from Copiapó in Chile. This is a realistic (and possibly preferable) option if traveling via bicycle, but the logistics of bringing a rental vehicle across the border make this less suitable for foreign climbers without a local guide. Regardless, most parties will find that an approach from within Argentina makes more sense.

 

Reclus - West
Reclus - West

 

A well-equipped 4WD vehicle can utilize the established trail which runs from Laguna Brava to the edge of the Corona Del Inca crater to approach within 10 km of the summit, and possibly closer for a skilled and adventurous driver. A fit and acclimatized cyclist using an MTB or fatbike can proceed even farther, at least to the Baboso col.

If a high camp is desired, the obvious location is the col with Cerro Baboso, about 6.5 km south of the summit at an altitude of 5400 MASL. Otherwise, various base camp options exist east of the mountain towards the Corona del Inca caldera. 

There is a gravel road running parallel to the international border to the west of Reclus (i.e. the opposite side from Corona Del Inca). As a deliberate road to support prior mining activities, much of this route is in relatively good condition - potentially even navigable by a 2WD vehicle. However, the west aspect of Reclus is somewhat steeper and the fully off-road distances from that side greater whether on foot or by vehicle, so this is not likely a preferable approach to Reclus specifically. This route may, however, be useful in planning a through-trip or circuit of the Corona Del Inca region.

Route

As a largely non-technical summit, Reclus can be climbed from a variety of directions with similar peak difficulty. Depending on where a camp is established, climbers should readily be able to scout and plan a route to the summit with a high probability of success. In fact, the terrain encountered on this mountain is generally easier than most of the surrounding peaks - more of a moderate hike than a climb for most of the ascent. Unless a deliberate attempt is made to find more difficult obstacles to overcome, the greatest challenge will be class 3 scrambling in the final 50 vertical meters to the summit.

 

Reclus - Scrambling
Reclus - Scrambling

 

Likely the easiest route overall ascends from the Baboso col. Beginning from about 5400 MASL, by this route a climber ascends most of the way to the summit on the gentlest of gradients up stable and smooth scree fields. This continues almost to the col between the two Reclus summits. From there, a brief scramble will bring a climber to either summit as desired.

Reclus - Summit Overview
Reclus - Summit Overview

Red Tape

Registration and a small fee may be required at Laguna Brava, but otherwise no permits are necessary.

When to Climb

The normal climbing season for this region is November through March.

Camping

Camping is generally permitted wherever desired. 

Access to water (or ice to melt) is unlikely to be an issue on the east side of the mountain due to the numerous streams and large snowfields. On the west side, streams and snowfields may be more fickle - one should proceed with caution if reliant on in situ water sources.

External Links

John Biggar's page: http://www.andes.org.uk/peak-info-6000/reclus-info.asp