Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.50553°S / 70.44456°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 10673 ft / 3253 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

San Ramon is the tallest mountain in the San Ramon Range.

Getting There

From the park entrance, hike the main trail up the valley, keeping on the left side of the river until you get to a point where the trail turns abruptly uphill to your left, just short of a creek that may be dry in summer. If you reach this creek bed and there seems to be no trail left, you have probably missed the not-so-obvious turn and the map does not reflect this clearly either. Zigzag uphill to a broad slope where you will see 

Route

From the west you may climb to the saddle between La Cruce and a large, rocky outcropping and scramble over the rocks (in some places you'll be "scrambling" in the low 5th class) until you reach the long ridge winding it's way toward Ramon, and from there it's rather straight forward. Or you may chose one of several gullies to the right of this saddle to avoid this scramble (which would be rather difficult with a pack) but these may not be good options without snow. There is a way from the east side which I am not familiar with. In addition, you will see many rocks with a white O or arrows painted where people have marked out various routes. 

Red Tape

Fires are not allowed inside the park but this is hardly enforced as you will see the evidence of many campfires, especially by the river in the valley. 

When to Climb

For snow it is necessary winter or spring. There is no water above the main river in the valley during summer/fall.

Camping

Many good tent spots (wind-breaking rock rings & nice level sand) have been constructed on the final ridge walk below Ramon's summit on the east side. There is a refugio on the west side but I am not familiar with it or anything else over there. Plenty of camping to be found in the valley bellow.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Ramon RangeMountains & Rocks