Viewing: 1-6 of 6
rasgoat

rasgoat - Dec 29, 2006 2:51 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting

Quandry was my first 14'er, it was January so I guess I would not want to take this route. But this sounds fun!

I myself like to climb mountains by thier easiest route but preferrably if they are class three/four. I am looking forward to Tetons and some of the harder Colorado 14'ers

hope I don't see you out there ;)

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 29, 2006 6:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Thanks, but why don't you hope? With our preferences for Class 3/4, we could have some good climbs if we ran into each other!

rasgoat

rasgoat - Dec 29, 2006 2:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting

Because of your love of solitude! (I was kidding of course) I do hope to see you out there! there are many great climbs/traverses cant wait to do!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 5, 2007 2:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Cool! And I've never done any winter climbs of peaks outside the Blue Ridge, where winter has lately been more a hope than a reality, so my hat's off to you for doing Quandary by any route in winter.

eric b

eric b - Aug 19, 2007 1:38 pm - Voted 10/10

One of my quotes is "why hike it if you can climb it"

I look to the mountains for escape from people and crowds much like yourself. So often I find myself looking for technical routes just to avoid people. Mt. Washington is such a great exaple. I love what the mountain has to offer most notably Huntington Ravine, but I actually dont go there anymore because of the auto road and the Cog. Quandary is a great name/title here b/c its a thing that all most invariably comes up every time I wish to climb a classic route. I face this dilema almost every time I head out, most of the people I meet on classic routes feel the same way and it can be cool to 'get into the conversations" about such matters.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 19, 2007 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One of my quotes is

I applied your theory on Mount Evans in Colorado. I drove to the top with my wife and son, we hiked to the summit, and then I just realized I had to do something respectable. So I scrambled down and climbed back up by a route that got me into some tricky stuff around 5.2; it turned out to have been a variation of the Class 4 Snave route. It was cool because I ended up on the summit ridge but away from the summit itself, so people throwing rocks was not a problem. So yeah, I've "bent" my philosophy a bit, seeking more interesting ways up the popular mountains. I'll still never hike up Pikes Peak, but I'd like to try the Y Gullies on it.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Challenge, Danger, and Reward on the Inwood Arete' main page