Chouinard Special 5.8

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.75626°N / 118.37803°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

"Chouinard Special" begins on the short dihedral just left of "Lieback." The climb consists of some easy crack on to more interesting slab. The route originally had an X rating as their were only two bolts protecting the upper slab. At some point this changed with the addition of a few more bolts.

Pitch 1: Follow the roughly 35 foot crack up to a two bolt belay. Protectable with mid-sized cams and nuts.

Pitch 2: Move out onto the face above the belay to the left. Follow the line of bolts to a 2 bolt belay.

Pitch 3: traverse up and to the left to a bolt and then head up to a two bolt rap station.

This route is rappable with two 60m ropes to the rocks below the big pine tree. It can also be rapped in two sections with a single.

Greg Vernon's "Needles" guidebook covers this climb.

Gear

Mid sized cams and nuts.
60m rope(s)
Rap stations have chains.




Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.