Church of St. Brynach

Church of St. Brynach

The ruined Church of St. Brynach at Cwm-yr-Egwlys on the shore of Newport Bay was destroyed in the great storm of October 1859.

St. Brynach's background is shrowded in mystery. He is sometimes said to have been the son of a King of Calabria (in Italy), although this is unlikely. He was probably from Ireland since 'Bernach' is an Irish name and he is occasionally referred to as Brynach Wyddel (the Irishman). As a young man, he made a pilgrimage to Rome, where he defeated a ferocious serpent. Upon his return journey, he settled in Brittany, where he made efforts to evangelise the local population. He eventually moved on to Wales, floating on a stone (probably his portable altar) and landing at Milford Haven. He first travelled north-east to Llanboidy (Carmarthenshire) where he was denied lodgings by the locals and slept in a cow-shed. At Cilymaellwyd he recived the same treatment and was forced to shelter under a grey stone. Eventually he built himself a small hermitage at Llanfyrnach in Pembrokeshire. However, there he was the victim of a vicious spear attack by a woman whose advances he had rejected. Fortunately he was rescued by a passer-by and washed his wounds in a nearby well, thenceforth known as the 'Fons Rubeus'. Read more...

Nanuls
on Nov 6, 2009 3:23 pm
Image ID: 571116

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
missymtngirl

missymtngirl - Nov 14, 2009 10:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool...

photo!

Nanuls

Nanuls - Nov 15, 2009 9:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool...

Thanks, it's a great place and known of by so few.
Cheers
Dan

Viewing: 1-2 of 2