Circle Park TH - Big Horn Mountains

Circle Park TH - Big Horn Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27655°N / 106.9846°W
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8100 ft / 2469 m

Overview

Circle Park TH sign boardCircle Park TH
One of the southern most trailheads on the eastern side of the range, this TH provides access to the Clear and Oliver Creek drainages in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. Major peaks in the vicinity would include Bighorn Peak and Darton Peak.
Trailhead facilities consist of a dirt parking lot which can accomodate perhaps 20 to 30 vehicles and pit toilets. Water is not available at the TH but is available at the nearby Circle Park CG.
The Circle Park Rd is passable for all vehicles.
Circle Park TH
Southern BighornsSouthern Big Horns from the Circle Park Rd - July, 2011



Directions

Overview MapBuffalo Wyoming and SE portion of Bighorn NF
From Buffalo Wyoming, take Hwy 16 west 13.4 miles to FSR 20. Turn right (west) onto the FSR20 (Circle Park Road). Continue west for 2 miles, bearing left at a fork onto FR384. Continue 1/2 mile to the trailhead.

Destinations

Cloud Peak WildernessCloud Peak Wilderness -Circle Park trails
Numerous lakes can be reached from this TH as well as two 12,000 foot peaks at the southern end of the Wilderness. The Sherd Lake Trail offers a loop and connections to a few other Wilderness trails.

Notable Peaks:
Bighorn Peak
Darton Peak
Bighorn Peak Bighorn Peak With Darton Peak over Rainy Lake - July 19, 2011.


Camping

Circle Park CampgroundCircle Park CG
In addition to multiple dispersed camping options along the road, Circle Park CG offers 10 sites. Facilities include pit toilets and potable water. Additional Forest Service campgrounds can be found a short distance away along the Hwy 16 corridor.
A spur trail from the SW end of the Circle Park campground connects to the Sherd Lake Trail. Note that the required permit is not available via this route.

Bighorn NF Campgrounds and Cabins

Nearest Services:
Buffalo, Wy

Maps/Books

Maps:
Trails Illustrated - Cloud Peak Wilderness
Forest Service - Bighorn National Forest

Books
Hiking Wyoming's Cloud Peak Wilderness

Red Tape

Registration Box
Cloud Peak WildernessRegistration Form

While you must register and carry the self-issued registration forms, no other permits are required for individuals or groups of less than 10. There are no designated backcountry campsites in the National Forest or in the Cloud Peak Wilderness.

The following acts are prohibited in the Cloud Peak Wilderness: 


1. Entering or being in the Cloud Peak Wilderness without a self-issue registration signed and in possession of the group for each visit.


2. Building, maintaining, attending or using a campfire, other than a self-contained chemical stove above 9200 feet in elevation. Below 9200 feet in elevation campfires must be contained on a fireblanket or within a fire pan or enclosed stove so as not to be directly on the ground nor built, maintained, attended or used within 300 feet of lakes, streams, or Forest Service designated trails. Campfires are prohibited at Lakes Number 6 and 7 in the Seven Brothers area.


3. Possessing, storing, or transporting any part of tree including branches, limbs or trunk above 9200 feet in elevation. 


4. Camping within 100 feet of all lakes, streams or other free flowing waters. 


5. Failure to dispose of debris including camp structures such as hitching racks, tent frames, and pegs after the use period. 


6. Using the Cloud Peak Wilderness with a group larger than 10 people and/or with more than 15 head of recreation stock in any group. Larger groups must split into separate groups which meet the group size limits and must remain a minimum of 1/2 mile apart even at campsites. Groups may have an additional 2 people in their group over the 10 person maximum party size if a member of the group is trained in "Leave No Trace" outdoor skills and ethics and they have a copy of their certification with them. 


7. Camping at sites posted as being closed to camping. 


8. Shortcutting a switchback in a trail is prohibited.


9. Possessing or using a wagon, cart, wheelbarrow, bicycle, or other vehicle (including game carts). 


10. Camping at, using, storing equipment at, or otherwise occupying any single location for a period in excess of 14 days during the period from June 1 to September 10. Any new location (campsite or area of occupancy) must be located at least five air miles from the previous location. A location vacated after 14 days of use may not be returned to by the same party for the purpose of camping during the next consecutive 14 day period.

See link below for more information

Links

Bighorn NF

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Horn RangeTrailheads
 
Bighorn PeakTrailheads
 
Darton PeakTrailheads