Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 34.83555°N / 85.47906°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located south and west of Chattanooga, Tennessee, Cloudland Canyon is one of three canyon park lands in the state of Georgia. The other two are Tallulah Gorge and Providence Canyon (if anyone knows that there are more, please let us all know in the comments section).

Like many parks built in the United States, much of the initial work in developing the trails and construction of the structures in the canyon was made by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC). Cloudland Canyon was originally called Sitton Gulch, but changed names in 1939 when the state began buying parcels of land around the area and officially designated the land as a state park. Sitton Gulch Creek which runs through the park is the only remnant of that original name. Now comprising over 3,800 acres, the lands encompassed by the park are some of the most scenic views in the state.

There are two main trails that run through the park. Most notably is the ~5 mile East Canyon Rim Trail, that takes you past two waterfalls, as well as around the rim of the canyon. While the distance is not terribly long, there are some fairly steep elevation changes as you drop 900' into the bottom of the canyon and then climb back out. There are many well-developed observation points that look into the canyon from the trail. Keep a sharp eye out for side-trails off of the main trail that lead to these points. While the side-trails are well-maintained, they are not marked. There is also a shorter 2 mile backcountry trail that also passes some small waterfalls.
CCC Signpost for Cloudland Canyon State Park
First waterfall on the East Canyon Rim Trail

Getting There

Cloudland Canyon State Park
122 Cloudland Canyon Park
Rising Fawn , GA 30738

Directions to Cloudland Canyon State Park provided by google maps.

Red Tape

Like all of the Georgia State Parks, there is a daily use fee for parking anywhere within the park. Annual Georgia Park Passes are good at all state parks. The daily fee is $3.00 while the annual pass available from the park service is for sale for $45.00.

While it might be tempting, going off trail, bouldering, and climbing are all strictly prohibited within the park grounds.
Red tape!

Camping

Camping is allowed at the developed campground in Cloudland Canyon State Park. Tent and RV camping, as well as rentals of several cottages are also available.

There are limited back country camping opportunities both on the East Rim Canyon Trail as well as on the Backcountry Trail.

Call the park for current fees and reservations: (800) 864-7275.

External Links

Cloudland Canyon State Park
122 Cloudland Canyon Park
Rising Fawn , GA 30738
For reservations call (800) 864-7275
To contact the Park (706) 657-4050
Official home page of Cloudland Canyon State Park


Weather in the canyon provided by weather.com.