Cowboy Springs Rib

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98000°N / 119.74°W
Additional Information Route Type: Cross-Country Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach by Car


This route climbs the southwest side of Tule Peak, involving 3+ miles of off-trail travel and ~3700' of gain to get to the summit. Although the trailhead may be reached by 2WD transportation, the last mile or so of road requires decent clearance due to the coarse alluvium gravels.

Follow the very thorough directions on the Tule Peak Main Page using Winnemucca Ranch Road off of the Pyramid Lake Highway north ot Reno/Sparks. Refer to the route & trailhead maps for clarification and orientation.

Route Description


After parking the car, approach Tule Peak heading directly for the summit. You will pass through a grassy spring area (Cowboy Springs) just before reaching the toe of the mountain. Continue up the spine of the rib, passing scattered Juniper trees and a few rock outcrops. Avoid sidehilling as the slopes are quite loose and will slow progress greatly.

The first steep section involves winding through some Juniper along an old fireline, and ends with a few hundred yards of level hiking. A second steep section is mostly free of trees, and has lots of smaller talus sections. If you have decent shoes, step on the talus pieces as it will speed your ascent. The climb soon gets shallower, and after a few hundred more yards you reach the summit ridge.

The summit, fortunately, is on the south end of the miles-long Tule Ridge, right near the top of the Cowboy Springs Rib. Look for a 4-foot-high cairn with some old sticks lying about, and you are there! The summit registers are in glass jars near the top of the cairn --- there were plenty of writing tools as of 3-03, so sign in and enjoy the view!

The route is very straightforward, so refer to the photos if any questions arise.

Essential Stuff


Except for water and the desire to walk off of a trail, nothing special is needed for this route. The climb is not very brushy, so shorts may be used if the season permits. If snow is present, some gaiters and waterproof shoes will prevent some misery.

Obligatory "SP Police" Orders Posting --- others need not apply


Stop. Further reading is not allowed unless accompanied by a sufficient quantity of donuts and a notepad.

If time was taken to actually read the Route Description, then please follow the directions to refer to the accompanying photos for additional clarification.

If said Route Description used in conjunction with said photos is still deemed lacking, feel free to notify me of the problem. I will then check the summit register and decide if you actually attempted the peak. If it is clear that you did attempt this peak and were unsuccessful due to an informational difficulty, then please accept my sincere sympathies for your obvious lack of skill and formal education.

That is all. You are released to other duties now.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tule PeakRoutes