Crater Lake (former Mt....

Crater Lake (former Mt....

Crater Lake (former Mt. Mazama) as seen from the air- July, 2003
Diggler
on Aug 27, 2003 1:23 pm
Image ID: 26281

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7

tyler_durden - Aug 27, 2003 4:39 pm - Hasn't voted

what altitude...

was this picture taken from?

Diggler

Diggler - Aug 27, 2003 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: what altitude...

I can't remember at which altitude we were flying when I took this. We had attained cruising altitude, going from SF to Seattle, but I can't remember what kind of plane it was, ... Sorry!

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 27, 2003 8:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: what altitude...

You can figure it out if you know trigonometry. You know or could find out two things: the width of the crater (left to right) from this vantage and the distance from the center of the lake to the point on the ground directly below the plane (would require a rough guess). You could probably answer the question to within a couple of thousand feet. But does any of that really matter?

tyler_durden - Sep 2, 2003 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: what altitude...

this picture looks very different as if it is from a very high altitiude. the darkness near the top makes it look like it was taken from near space...

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 2, 2003 12:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: what altitude...

If you were flying back to Seattle on a standard 737 for such travel distances, then you would still be at cruising altitude when flying over Crater Lake. Cruising altitude for a 737 is typically about 30,000 ft. This is consistent with the scale of Crater Lake below, as it jives with similar views of other volcanos I've seen while flying. The altitude is probably about 30,000 ft. The fact that the sky is dark above also correlates to my own experiences at 30,000 ft.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Jan 26, 2007 4:21 am - Voted 10/10

37,000ft.

Yesterday I flew from Portland to Ontario and saw Rainier thru Lassen, amazing views from around 37,000ft. This great picture makes up for me forgetting mine.

Diggler

Diggler - Jan 26, 2007 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 37,000ft.

I love flying over the mountains in general, but over the Cascades is special, as you can see the whole row of them if flying N to S (or vice versa). They're also so big you can see them from incredible distances- flying from SF to Salt Lake one clear day I saw Shasta from at least 200 miles away, if not more, by air! Thanks for stopping by.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7