East Face Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
dillweed

dillweed - Jun 14, 2006 2:19 pm - Hasn't voted

rimrock lake

Hi, do you have any photos of Rimrock Lake? I am really curious about this place, and I might have to just wander up there if I really want to see it. How do you get there (hiking or scrambing - no climbing)?

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 18, 2006 9:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: rimrock lake

No, I only bought a digital camera a couple years ago. So all of my photos of Buck Mountain are from my old point and shoot camera and not very good quality. You can see Rimrock Lake from the summits of several mountains to the north of Death Canyon. It is in a hanging cirque and is very beautiful.

Rimrock Lake is on the south side of Death Canyon and located over 1,000 feet up the north face of Prospectors Mountain. It requires rock climbing and scrambling to reach so it isn't visited much. The easiest way to reach the lake from the bottom is by hiking up the Death Canyon trail. I have seen the outlet of the lake from the trail. You'll have to do some off-trail hiking and bushwhacking to get over to the headwall below the lake. The left side of the stream can be climbed up wet slabs and is rated 5.4 in difficulty.

The lake may also be reached from the summit of Prospectors Mountain. There is a steep descent down the north side of the mountain. I'm not sure how difficult this route would be, but I would guess there would be at least some 4th class scrambling involved. Climbing back up the steep slope to the summit would not be fun either.

If you are just interested in hiking then I recommend the loop that goes up Death Canyon towards Fox Creek Pass, then onto the Death Canyon shelf, then down to Alaska Basin, and then up to Static Peak Divide and back down Death Canyon. Most people do this as a backpacking trip but it can also be hiked in one long day.

dillweed

dillweed - Jun 19, 2006 9:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: rimrock lake

thanks! thanks for the info. I have backpacked up Darby canyon, across death canyon shelf, into alaska basin, and down Teton canyon - 2 nights. It was so fun. I want to take my family through there now.

I went there on Google Earth, and I saw the Cirque that contains Rimrock Lake and looked at some topos and it looks like an uber-awesome lake to visit. I did find one photo of it though, on Flickr, even though it's not a very good photo - it still makes me want to go there so bad! I would probably go over Prospectors mountain to get there. It would be a long haul, but probably well worth it!

thanks again. :)

rtstephenson - Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm - Voted 9/10

Buck Mountain

What an amazing hike!! Only saw 4 other hikers on the East Face trail all day. Views are incredible throughout and standing on the summit is a map of Grand Teton National Park brought to life! Bring a water filter and fill up on ice cold glacier water at Timberline Lake. I am already looking forward to the next Teton summit.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Sep 29, 2010 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Buck Mountain

I think you may be trying to sign the summit log for Buck Mountain instead. Either way, it sounds like you enjoyed climbing the mountain.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'East Face' main page