East flank

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.16176°N / 8.48694°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The ascent of the east side of Pioda di Crana, allows to observe closely the distinguishing feature of this mountain, the extended smooth slabs of skewed rocks, locally called "piodate"; "pioda" is also the name of a plate of stone used for covering rooftop.


Route Description

route
Departure takes place as the regular route, from Arvogno following the path for the Fontanalba Pass,
arrived at Alpe i Motti 1815 m leave the trail and climb on the left in the direction of manifest corridor that divides the two piodate on the east side.
Start climbining on the corridor at about 2000 m. climb path is not mandatory and came close to the little rock barrier crossing the flanck; you can exit left on the path to reaching saddle 2296 m , but is preferable to continue on the right, climbing close to the rock barrier and going out and step on the south ridge to continue to the summit.

If you stay more on the right climbing the piodata, you meet more difficulties (III/IV°) and you exit at the culmination of piodata near the summit.

From Arvogno to the summit about 3 hours.


It is an short and a not very difficult climb (II°), but requires dry rock.

Danger of falling rocks for passage of hikers, and also animals, along the path to the regular route.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.