Viewing: 1-7 of 7
gjagiels

gjagiels - Aug 13, 2007 11:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Crandall Canyon Mine Accident

Hey Dean,

Did you know that this mountain is the site of the Crandall Canyon Mine accident? See here.

I was in the area this past weekend (actually trying to visit this peak) but was stopped right at Indian Spring Campground. The road was closed and I was greeted by a forest ranger. I saw where they were doing the drilling and it was almost right below the summit area. Just thought you might find this interesting, thanks.

Greg

Dean

Dean - Aug 13, 2007 11:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crandall Canyon Mine Accident

Greg, I was aware of this since my son in law has kept me up to date on it. I even have a picture he sent me showing the location of the mine in relation to the peak and where we camped. I had no clue there was a mine in the area when we did the peak a couple years ago. I'll post that pic my son in law sent and put a link to your story. Thanks...

Dean

Dean - Mar 27, 2008 6:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: cool page!

It took me awhile to remember to put a link in to your superb page on Joe's Valley but I have finally updated my page to include a link to all that information you have put together.

rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Aug 15, 2008 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Road is Open

Hey Dean,
Thanks for putting the page up. It helped tremendously. We were up there last week and the road is open 2.9 miles past Indian Springs Campground. From Indian Springs CG we crossed a cattle guard after 2.1 miles, stayed right at a junction at 2.5 miles and parked at 2.9 miles. Thanks again

trucha101

trucha101 - Aug 11, 2009 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Highest summits on Wasatch Plateau

Your info helped me alot on my trip to East Mtn. last week. The "High in Utah" book on county high points was worthless. They state that there is no trail to the summit while the topo and Forest Service maps show that there clearly is a trail nearly to the top. The trail is not used very much and is a little hard to follow in a few places but it gets you to the ridge and out in the open so it is easy to navigate to the summit. By the way, East Mtn. isn't the third highest summit on the Wasatch Plateau. If you check the maps you will find the following, Lowry Top-11136, Heliotrope Mtn.-11130, San Pete 2-11076, West San Pete 2-10988, Mt. Baldy-10918, Hightop-10908, Black Mtn.-10782 and Block Mtn.-10782. There may also be others that I am not aware of. The climb to East Mtn. is certainly worth it for the view alone even if one isn't a "high pointer" and to have a trail all to yourself most often. You can also see three other high points from the summit, Mt. Nebo in Utah County, Monument Peak in Carbon County and South Tent in San Pete County.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Oct 3, 2014 5:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Name change?

When I attempt to look up this mountain in the search box I type in East Mountain and receive a "no results found" message. After some looking around and frustration I find out that the "official" SP title is East Mtn. How about changing the title to East Mountain? In the body of the page the full name is used and I think using the word "mountain" would make it easier for others to find your otherwise fine page. Also, in the camping section you refer to Indian Creek CG as Indian Spring. Maybe that could be changed too? Not nitpicking, just offering a suggestion.

Dean

Dean - Oct 3, 2014 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Name change?

Done. Thanks for the mention of the two things needing correction.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'East Mountain (UT)' main page