East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.31330°N / 106.5897°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The east ridge route offers a pleasant desert hike that ends with spectacular views of the Organ Mountains. The hike follows a wide, well maintained trail for the first half before heading off trail towards the top of Squaw Mountain.

Getting There

From Interstate 25 in Las Cruces, take the University exit. Go east on University Blvd. until you see signs for the preserve's A. B. Cox Visitor Center. The Visitor Center is open to the public from 9-5 daily except on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The preserve is open from 8:00 a.m.. to sunset year round. The day use fee is $3.00.

Route Description

The east ridge route starts from the Dripping Springs parking lot (see the getting there section) and follows the trail toward the old resort. At the location pictured below there is a barely distinguishable old road that leads toward the peak.
Turnoff from Dripping Springs trailThe turnoff from the Dripping Springs trail is at this point

Follow the road for a short distance until it begins to turn away from the peak. At that point leave the road, cross a wire fence, and head down an arroyo. All the while the east ridge (or left shoulder as you're looking at the peak) should be you goal. Once on the east ridge the follow picture should show you what the remaining route looks like.

East ShoulderEast Ridge view


From the bottom of the east ridge continue up the ridge until some the rocky band is reached. Skirt the difficulties to the right or continue up the class three terrain. After some cactus dodging and careful walking the summit cairn will come into view. The total hike is about 4 miles RT.

Essential Gear

Typical desert hiking gear is needed for this hike. Be sure to bring plenty of water as off-trail mileage takes a lot longer to negotiate than trail miles.

External Links

Dripping Springs.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.