East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.48603°N / 105.08835°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Say s Phoebe

From the C-470 and S. Wadsworth intersection in southwest Denver. Take Wadsworth south for several miles until you see a turnoff for Waterton Canyon on your left (This is the point where Wadsworth starts heading west). Drive south for several hundred yards. You'll see a parking lot on your left. Park in the parking lot.


Route Description

East Ridge - close to the summit
East Ridge - from entrance to Waterton Canyon

Cross the paved road. The path on the other side turns into a well maintained gravel service road which leads into the Waterton Canyon.

The prominent rock face high above you to the north is part of the East Ridge of Goat Mountain.

Hike on the gravel road until it crosses below two big pipes. Exactly between the two pipes turn to your right into a small ravine. From here a path winds its way up to the crest of the ridge and along the crest all the way to the summit.

Most the time it is a simple walk. Getting up the prominent rock face requires a bit of route finding and scrambling.

Return the same way you came. From above it looks like if some slopes and ridges offer a quicker way back to the canyon bottom. However, almost all of them lead eventually down to the dense thickets of Cottonwood Gulch - happy bushwhacking.

Essential Gear

Changing of the leaves along the South Platte

Sturdy hiking boots - plenty of cactus on the ridge. Rattle snakes liek it here, too.

There is no water on this route, bring plenty.

The route is very exposed to an often blazing sun!

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.