East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.71678°N / 106.2951°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
East Ridge Peak P  from Peak Q 
Climbing Peak P via the East Ridge offers a hike/climb deep into the wilderness of the Gore Range.The climb will demand two full days!

Route

 
West Partner 
 
Peak P - Southern Slate Creek  
 
Nature goes Modern Art 
Trailhead:Pitkin Lake Trailhead (Bighorn/Vail) - parking limited to 3 hrs. Free overnight parking at Village Center Parking Structure - take East Vail Bus close to trailhead
Route:Hike on a well trodden path up to Pitkin Lake. Pass Pitkin Lake on its left side. Follow the creek uphill to another small lake.The wide saddle between West and East Partner seems to be the obvious choice to cross the ridge separating Pitkin Lake from the South Slate Creek Drainage.However, from the saddle you would have to descend very steep and long rubble and snow filled gullies,which are extremely prone to rockfall.A better option is the deep notch in the ridge between West Partner and the saddle, marked by a very obvious upstanding solitary rock (looks remotely like a thumb's up).On the north side of the notch you will have to climb down a pretty steep and most the time (at least partially) snow filled gully, but the gully is comparably short and soon ends in a boulder field.Scramble down the boulder field to the valley bottom and hike up to the end of the valley. Scramble up the rocky/grassy slopes to the saddle between Peak P and Peak Q, which is only 400 ft below the summit.Grassy ledges lead from here almost all the way up the East Ridge to the summit. You can spice up the climb by gaining the crest of the East Ridge ridge,which offers a quick and enjoyable Class 2-3 climb to the summit.

Essential Gear

 
Squirrel along the way 
Helmet, crampons, ice pick (for the crossing of the Pitkin - South Slate Divide).After climbing down to the South Slate Creek Drainage you will be in the middle of nowhere - you will be completely on your own.Probably only a handful of people visit this isolated corner of the Gore Range per year.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Peak PRoutes