Echo Rock Area Formations

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 34.02494°N / 116.15652°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4000 ft / 1219 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Note: Joshua Tree National Park is tremendously large and includes thousands of rock formations. The purpose of this page is to bring some sense of organization to many "Mountain & Rock" pages I have posted for the past two years. This particular page may be considered as a mini "Area & Range" page that will be attached to the main Joshua Tree page as a child.


Directions to Echo Rock:

Road sign to Barker Dam
From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park drive on Park Boulevard, formerly known as Quail Springs Road, for about nine miles to a major rock formation called “Intersection Rock.” Intersection Rock is a major landmark on the north side of Quail Springs Road with ample parking for visitors and climbers alike. This rock, true to its name, sit at the cross roads to “Hidden Valley Campground”, Barker Dam Road and the road to “Day use and picnic” area.
Just past (Intersection Rock), take the road to Barker Dam for a short distance. Shortly after getting on this road you’ll see a sign for “Key’s Ranch” Road. Take this dirt road to a large parking area on the right. Just beyond the parking area there is a sign for “Key’s Ranch Guided Tours.” You can drive further on this road to access several other climbing formations, but you will run into a locked gate for “Key’s Ranch.”
Echo Rock is visible from here and not very far. You will enter a gully from the south. Echo Rock will be on your right and Touch And Go Face on your left.

Echo Rock

Echo Rock
Echo Rock

Echo Rock is a rock formation in Joshua Tree National Park, California.


This massive formation is located across from Touch And Go and is one of the most popular rock climbing areas in all of Joshua Tree National Park. There are a number of reasons for this popularity. First and foremost, it’s the low angle nature of this formation. Echo Rock is all about slab climbing. If you are looking for a rock to test and polish your balance and friction climbing techniques, Echo Rock is your rock.


Unfortunately, the amount of protection on Echo Rock leaves much to be desired. On many of the routes you climb over a hundred feet of rock with only two or three bolts. Echo Rock was developed by older generation of climbers who prided themselves on running it out. They drilled by hand, from stances, and not by powered drills from hooks. Those reasons alone cause a climber to put longer and longer distances between bolts. Be forewarned, in addition to long runouts, you may have to deal with old bolts with missing hangers. If you don’t mind these short comings, you will have a great rock to climb on.





Eck Rock seen from...
Joshua Tree at dusk



Another reason for the popularity of Ech Rock is its ease of approach. This formation is just over half a mile from Hidden Valley Campground. The approach trail could not be better maintained, and it’s clearly marked by Access Fund. The Access Fund has done more than marking the trails to improve the area. They have built a large parking area and a bathroom facility very close to Echo Rock and vicinity. If you are climbing in this area, please use the facility. They have been put there at a great expense to keep the area as pristine as possible.


Touch And Go Face

Touch And Go Face
Touch And Go Face
Sun sets on Joshua Tree
Touch And Go Face is a rock formation in Joshua Tree National Park, California.

This small formation received its name and reputation because of one, and only one, route.
That route is named “Touch And Go.” rated 5.9. Although there are half a dozen other climbs on this face that have been done, you hardly ever see anyone trying them. The day I was taking photos for this page a team was trying to climb another route on the right, “Thrash or Crash, 5.9” without much success. The more difficult routes are basically top rope problems, and the more moderate ones are not of the quality that would bring many climbers to their bases. Another reason for this lack of attention could be due to the feeling of fulfillment you get after you have climbed Touch And Go. For these reasons I will dedicate the rest of this page to featuring this one climb. You will also find a route topo and a list of routes in a separate chapter.



Echo Rock, South Side

Echo Rock, South Side
Pope s Crack, 5.9


Directions to Echo Cove

Echo Cove areaThe north wall of Echo Cove seen from the entrance to Echo Cove area
Road sign to Barker Dam
From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park drive on Park Boulevard, formerly known as Quail Springs Road, for about nine miles to a major rock formation called “Intersection Rock.” Intersection Rock is a major landmark on the north side of Quail Springs Road with ample parking for visitors and climbers alike. This rock, true to its name, sit at the cross roads to “Hidden Valley Campground”, Barker Dam Road and the road to “Day use and picnic” area.
Just past Intersection Rock, take the road to Barker Dam for a short distance. Shortly after getting on this road you’ll see a sign for “Key’s Ranch” Road. Take this dirt road to a large parking area on the right. Just beyond the parking area there is a sign for “Key’s Ranch Guided Tours.” You can drive further on this road to access several other climbing formations, but you will run into a locked gate for “Key’s Ranch.” Walk along the dirt road and within less than a minute the South Face Of Echo Cove will be on your right, and right next to the road. Continue walking along the road to the end of the south face where you will see another small parking area. In front of the parking area there is a sign reading "Thin Crack" pointing you into the gully/cove. The North Wall of Echo Cove, left side, is immediately to your left.

North Face of Echo Cove, Right Side, Big Moe

North Face of Echo Cove, Right side

Big Moe, 11a
Select Routes of Echo Cove, North Face, right sideRoutes Topo
Big Moe, 11aBig Moe, 11a

Echo Cove, North Wall, Right Side

Echo Cove, North Wall, Right Side
Echo Cove, North Wall

Echo Cove, North Wall, Left Side

Echo Cove, North Wall, Left Side
Echo Cove, North Wall

Echo Cove, East End

North Face of Echo Cove, East End

Left sideLeft side
Routes of Echo Cove, east endRoutes Topo
Right Side Right side

Echo Cove, South Face

South Face of Echo Cove
South Face of Echo Cove


Joshua Tree landscape
Road sign to Barker Dam
From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park drive on Park Boulevard, formerly known as Quail Springs Road, for about nine miles to a major rock formation called “Intersection Rock.” Intersection Rock is a major landmark on the north side of Quail Springs Road with ample parking for visitors and climbers alike. This rock, true to its name, sit at the cross roads to “Hidden Valley Campground”, Barker Dam Road and the road to “Day use and picnic” area.
Just past (Intersection Rock), take the road to Barker Dam for a short distance. Shortly after getting on this road you’ll see a sign for “Key’s Ranch” Road. Take this dirt road to a large parking area on the right. Just beyond the parking area there is a sign for “Key’s Ranch Guided Tours.” You can drive further on this road to access several other climbing formations, but you will run into a locked gate for “Key’s Ranch.” Walk along the dirt road and within less than a minute the South Face Of Echo Cove will be on your right, and right next to the road.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.