El Caminito del Rey

El Caminito del Rey

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Overview

El Caminito del Rey (The king's trail) is an awesome walkway one meter wide without any handrail (there is a wire to belay yourself) hanging up the vertical walls of the Gaitanes Gorge one hundred metres over the bottom of the canyon and about 3 km long.
It is located in the place called "El Chorro" one of the best climbing spots in Andalucía, Spain. This huge engineering work was made between 1901 and 1905 and it was built to allow comunication, goods transportation, security and maintenance of a cannal between two hydroelectric power stations: El Salto del Chorro and El Salto del Gaitanejo.
The Spanish King Alfonso XIII walked along this "trail" the day he inaugurated The Conde de Guadalhorce Dam in 1921. Since then the people started to name it the trail "of the king"...
Nowadays it is very damaged, and even some sections have fallen down, so the hikers must pass them balancing over a single metal beam above a one hundred meters void. This is not something to take lightly, in fact two hikers died in 1999 and 2000 by falling down. Currently the trail is geared for self-belay in the lower gorge by means of wires fixed with bolts.

External Links

-Wikipedia link
-Wikipedia in Spanish with more information
-A page with a very useful information in English
-Spanish web with nice pictures and information

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Corax

Corax - Aug 28, 2008 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

Video - El Camino del Rey

Here's a cool video from El Camino del Rey.

tahoemike

tahoemike - Aug 30, 2010 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

HuaShan is somewhat simular

Very cool pictures! Here’s another video I found of a slightly simular hiking path in HuaShan China that consists of narrow wood planks some 3,000 feet high:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq0vtU-LVc&feature=related

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

El ChorroAlbums