El Cap

El Cap

Yosemite Valley, California
Marcsoltan
on May 7, 2011 5:15 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 714056

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
RayMondo

RayMondo - May 9, 2011 4:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Still blows my mind

Even the first images I saw blew my mind. And then seeing in reality blew the rest of it. What I didn't first understand was the nature of Yosemite climbing - which still blows my gasket.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - May 9, 2011 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Still blows my mind

Hi Ray,
Yes, El cap is one big piece of rock. It's interesting that when you are climbing on it, it looks very small, but you know that there is a lot more of it there than meets the eye. That is, in fact, true with all big walls. Distances get foreshortened when your eyes are so close to the rock.
Glad you were able to see it close up.
Cheers,

RayMondo

RayMondo - May 10, 2011 5:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Still blows my mind

Yeah, you are exactly right about foreshortened view. All those many pitches add up though, to one big commitment.

I recall I became used to big (relatively speaking) drops. Though not having seriously vertically climbed for some years, I realise how rusty to it I am - gees, I was up on the roof ladder painting, and wanting a top rope ! I gotta get my act together !

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - May 10, 2011 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Still blows my mind

Not to worry about being afraid of heights, you live longer. I am always a nervous wreck on the first pitch, then as I get higher things begin to feel normal. BTW, I hate ladders too. You never know if they're going to tip over or not, and there's nothing to hang onto if they do.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4