El Lomo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 25.35000°N / 100.55°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, Basic snow.
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk - up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the main plaza in Los Lirios, drive west (right) on the main street about one mile, eventually the street becomes a dirt road that turns south heading up the mountain slope toward the end of the town ending at a creek crossing. Leave your vehicle here.

Route Description


This is the second most used trail on La Viga. The trail starts here and goes up the creek for about a 1/2 mile, look for a big withe ribbon and a cairn on the right side of the creek and exit there.
Start hiking on this sometimes steep switchbacking trail that goes through some low scrubby vegetation, this section climbs to the southwest until it reaches the west ridge; up to this point the elevation gain is less than half of the total height of the mountain, this spot is marked by another cairn. From there hike east staying on the top of the ridge wich then gets wider and rounded but very steep for a long stretch until reaching the pine forest, from here the trail is less steep and just follows the ridge in a straight line passing a false summit where a concrete hut and an antenna are located, from here the terrain is almost flat and then this trail joins the one coming from the north (Ruta Norte) and after another 5 minutes reaches the pine forest covered summit.

This route takes a little longer to climb (30 min. to 1 hr.) since the total distance is about 1/3 longer than the Ruta Norte.

Essential Gear


Wind and water proof gear should be carried at all times; crampons and trekking poles are useful when snow is present in the winter months, ocassionally an ice axe may be needed.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

La VigaRoutes