Viewing: 1-2 of 2
RyanS

RyanS - Apr 3, 2006 7:15 pm - Hasn't voted

The USGS says...

... that the 7.5-minute map is in error and that Meaden Peak is indeed the 10,561' peak. Therefore, I'd hesitate to call the 10,879' summit East Meaden. It's more a summit of Sand Mountain, since its saddle with Sand is much higher than its saddle with Meaden.

Scott

Scott - Apr 3, 2006 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The USGS says...

... that the 7.5-minute map is in error and that Meaden Peak is indeed the 10,561' peak. Therefore, I'd hesitate to call the 10,879' summit East Meaden. It's more a summit of Sand Mountain, since its saddle with Sand is much higher than its saddle with Meaden.

It was apparently originally an error, but unfortunately, it is what is printed on all the maps and has fallen into common useage locally. If I add the mountain to SP, I'll add some more details on this.

7.5 Minute Map: Meaden Peak

It is actually a seperate summit that Meaden or Sand Mountain, and is even the highest in the entire range. It really isn't part of what is called Sand Mountain either, since Sand Mountain was named for the sandy area on the east face of Sand Mountain, and East Meaden is very rocky.

Sand Mountain center and "East" Meaden right

"East" Meaden from Sand Mountain

It could be called "North Sand Mountain", and I would have called it that for the list had the 7.5 USGS map not labeled it as Meaden Peak. A book on the history of the area calls them Meaden Peak-West and Meaden Peak-East. Because of these two reasons, and since the 7.5 minute maps and 1:100,000 maps use different peaks for "Meaden Peak" on each map, I used "West" Meaden" and "East" Meaden, both with quotations for the list. Hopefully they (USGS) will fix the maps, eventually. They could fix all the road info too, while they are at it!

Here's one for you:

In Utah, the 7.5 minute and Forest Service maps label a peak as Musina Peak. The USGS maps for the state, and the 1:100,000 scale maps say Marys Nipple. Local maps say Mollies Nipple. All are the exact same peak!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Elkhead Mountains-10,000+ Foot Peaks with 300+ feet of Prominence' main page