Embalse de Arguis

Embalse de Arguis

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.30956°N / 0.42624°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pico Gratal (1567m)

The normal route and most frequented route have trailhead in the Dam of Arguis (970m).

Getting There

Dam of ArguisDam of Arguis

In Huesca you take the E-7/A-23 in direction Sabiñanigo / Jaca for 20km. Before the Puerto de Monrepós we arrive to the exit to Arguis. The dam have a small parking near of the village of Arguis.

Route Description

Forest track of ArguisTrail of the Dam
Signal to GratalSignal to Gratal


Yellow signalsYellow signals
Pico Gratal (1567m)Ramp North


In the parking (970m) we cross it continuing the signs of path to circulate of the dam. The trail continues during 2.6 km, passing next to the starting signal of the ravine of Las Calmas, until a turn to the left to enter to a new ravine, abandoning the trail by the sign that indicates Pico Gratal. Continuing the firebreak, with the yellow signs of Gas, we reach a ramp that is abandoned fortunately for some large cairn (milestones), to the right one (S.W.), that introduce us in the welcoming shadow of the pine forest. The winding path well marked carries us to a new trail, but the milestones guide us to the right until reaching the hillock d' you Pines (1.440 m) and an elevation, with crossing of trails, since the one that we see the summit.

Slopes of GratalLast meters
Summit of GratalSummit


We descend now to the fields of Fenés that carry us to the bottom of the rock. The trail revolves to the left and immediately some milestones in the slopes appear that permit to catch it if is desired. At any rate we reach the start of the ramp N. of the summit. The strong slope is attacked for an open path in the tunnel of boxwood, always evident thanks to the open furrow in the thickets by the multitude of people that have climbed this popular summit. The slope smooths out itself to reach the extensive top, with privileged views in all the directions, with the remainder of the Sierra de Gratal, the nearby Sierra de Guara, the plain of Huesca or the Pyrenean range.

Essential Gear

Two good cans for the descent of the summit.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

ojo - Jan 20, 2011 3:58 am - Voted 10/10

a nice alternative...

... is to start at the Embalse de Arguis and follow the track to a turning off left to "POZOS DE NIEVE LAS CALMAS". This takes you up a fine barranc El Bayón (crossing a track a couple of times) and (carefully following cairns) you will arrive at a track that takes you (left) to a col.

Calam Alta is to the north. You can turn right on reaching the track and follow the track down, then left which brings you out at the open area above the "normal" route of the pipeline. Or you can be brave :) and turn left to the col below Calma Alta.

You can climb Calma Alta first then look for a vague path that heads first south (don't head down to Nueno!) and then along the ridge to Gratal and fianally to the open area below Peña Gratal.

This is an "adventurous" option (the path is extremeley overgrown . Nov 2010) but keeps you off the "main highway" of the popular route and you can do three summits: Calma Alta (1,584m), Gratal (1,542m) & Peña Gratal - but take a map and compass with you!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.