Fayville Route

Overview

This route utilizes very rough Green Mtn Forest Roads along with a snowmobile trail and the AT/LT to access the summit of Glastenbury Mtn. This route is only recommended for high-clearance 4WD vehicles. This shortens the hike distance dramatically from other popular routes which range from 18-22 Miles RT. This hike is only about 5 Miles RT and about 1100ft Elev. Gain.

Getting There

Trail Sign
There is an unsigned dirt road off Glastenbury RD in Shaftsbury, VT. About 150ft down the road is a sign that states that it is a Trail and unmaintained by the township. As you proceed up the very rough rocky trail, there is a clearing that was once the hamlet of Fayville, there is only a small private camp there now. Proceeding farther up the forest road (FR307) there is a closed bridge (Use Caution) and an old unused gate. At the Y in the road take the right (other RD posted as closed). The road takes a sharp turn to the south (FR313) and proceeds for a couple miles until you arrive at a barrier. Park here and hike the snowmobile trail until it intersects with the AT/LT, turn right (South) and the summit is reached in about 3/4 Mile. Total distance for the trip approximately 5MI RT (Elev. Gain about 1100ft). (*Caution FR307/313 are about 4 Miles of very rough road and there are no signs for FR307 or FR313)

Essential Gear

High Clearance 4WD, Spare Tire. Caution: No cell phone service here.

Red Tape

This road passes near a couple of private camps and some private land. Camping is only advisable towards the end of FR313 or along the snowmobile route which is GMNF land.

External Links

MYTOPO Map
Google Maps to Glastenbury RD

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.