Finailjoch / Forcella di Finale

Finailjoch / Forcella di Finale

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.76910°N / 10.79970°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to Kurzras / Maso Corto in Schnalstal / Val Senales look at the descriptions in the "Getting There"-section of the main page. You can park your car at the parking lot of the cablecar station

Route Description


Grawand photo_id=85609

Alltitude difference: 1350m
Difficulty: II+, secured (on the ridge between Finailjoch and Grawand)
Duration: 5h
Trailhead: Kurzras / Maso Corto

Because of its loneliness this is probably the better of the two routes. You have two lakes and a pretty steep scamble to reach Finailjoch. From there over the ridge the difficulty is grade II+ but secured with cables. Be prepared for a shock! The summit will be VERY crowded.

From the parking lot of the cablecar at Kurzras take trail No 7 back to the Vernagt reservoir. The trail leads through densely forrested areaand at its end meets the road to Finailhof which comes up from the reservoir. A couple of meters on that road but then turn off left onto trail No 8which follows Finail Valley to Finail Lake.

Take a rest on the shores of the lake because now a 500m steep scramble (I) starts. The trail winds upwards towards Finailjoch and awards better and better views of the Ortler-Cevedale Group. In Finailjoch enjoy the view over Kreuzferner and Hochjochferner.

From the pass turn left (west) and start climbing upwards to the summit of Grawand along its eastern ridge. There are some pretty exposed parts but due to the fixed cables the ascent poses no problems whatsoever.

Croda delle Cornacchie / Grawand Finailjoch / Forcella di Finale photo_id=85595Croda delle Cornacchie / Grawand Finailjoch / Forcella di Finale photo_id=85597

Essential Gear


Hiking gear is sufficient.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.