Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26060°N / 111.54432°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 21, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Hitting the Trail!

Freedom Peak had been a peak that I had seen for years from my Provo residence. Until recently, I didn't even know that it had a name, I just knew that it was located south of the pyramid shaped, terraced peak, which I later found out was named Shingle Mill. Upon doing some research on Freedom Peak on summitpost and on Google Earth, I knew that it was a peak I that I could not wait to stand on top of. I was keenly attracted to the fact that those who had attempted the climb noted how it had what many considered a crazy knife-edged ridge that one would have to traverse to make it to the summit. Having climbed Lone Peak and Pfeifferhorn, I felt confident that I had the skill and knowledge to safely traverse this peak.

About a month earlier, I had hiked up to Cascade Mountain, situated northwest of Freedom, and I'd also hiked Shingle Mill via the Dry Fork Trail, so I was very familiar with the trail that would lead up to the saddle between Shingle and Freedom.

When I had hiked Shingle Mill the month before, I had also wanted to tackle Freedom, but a storm moved in, and the clouds shrouded the peak of Shingle Mill and Freedom, not to mention I was with an inexperienced hiker and the temperature was barely 40 degrees. It was in our best interest to put off Freedom for another time which was disappointing... however, by hiking Shingle Mill, it gave me a birds-eye view of the ridge between Shingle and Freedom, and quite frankly, I found it a little intimidating.

I would have my chance to give it a go a month later under much more favorable conditions. My hiking buddy, kteichert and I both had the morning of Monday, September 21st off, so we decided to hit up Freedom and then Shingle Mill.

We hit the Dry Fork Trailhead, located about a mile past Rock Canyon Campground off of Squaw Peak Road at about 7am. The trail leading up to the Cascade saddle is a very pleasant and well worn trail walk. Along the trail, we spotted some deer that were grazing just west and under the Cascade saddle. The Dry Fork trail winds along the bottom of the cirque under Freedom Peak and then shoots north along a decades old jeep trail that crosses the CCC terraces under Shingle Mill to reach the Cascade saddle. We made great time up to the spot where the Shingle Mill Trail forks right and back south from the Dry Fork Trail. After following the trail up the west ridge of Shingle Mill we followed the trail back south along another CCC terrace back underneath Shingle Mill to the saddle between it and Freedom.
Dry Fork trail under Shingle MillA portion of the Dry Fork Trail that leads under the summit of Shingle Mill on the way to the Shingle Mill trail that then takes you between it and Freedom Peak.
Looking at Freedom Peak A good look of the route we would take to reach Freedom Peak.

Navigating the Knife-Edge

Once at the saddle south of Shingle Mill Peak, it gave us an excellent view of what we were about to get ourselves into. I had seen it a month before and had spent the month leading up to this moment trying to disspell the the thoughts of unease, and it had worked... until I saw the ridge again. My feelings of confidence, wavered slightly, but I was not about to turn around this time, I didn't have a good reason. It was beautiful and clear outside, albeit very cold, (about 38 degrees) and I was determined to stand on the top of Freedom Peak.

We began our ascent along the ridge until we reached the knife-edge. We climbed the knife-edge for a couple hundred feet, and then decided that it was safer and much warmer to drop down on the east side of the ridge, about 25 below the knife-edge. While it was still very steep, at least we could only fall off one side instead of both sides. We found that the climb wasn't as perilous as it looked from the saddle, however, every step and hand hold was carefully chosen, for one mis-step would have led to a probable unstoppable slide and tumble down the east cirque some 1500 ft below. I used the strategy of always maintaining at least three points of contact at all times, and I didn't have a problem.
Ridge traverse down from Freedom PeakDescending the east side of the ridge, just below the knife-edge.
Descending Freedom Peak
Freedom Peak ridgeLooking at the knife-edge with Shingle Mill in the background.


Kyle did have a scary moment, as a rock, roughly the size of a pizza box broke lose from the mountain, causing Kyle to slide down the ridge about 15-20 feet. Luckily, he remained calm and his feet caught on some small cracks in the rock slabs. We took a minute to catch our breath. Our fingers were pretty frozen from the constant biting wind blowing, so we briefly warmed them up and continued up the ridge. The last 200 feet or so to the summit isn't bad at all. We reached the top and saw the summit cairn. It was bitter cold up there, and neither slope provided any cover from the biting wind. With the wind chill, it was easily only 30 degrees, but we had made it!
Provo Peak and Provo East PeakView looking south toward Provo Peak, and Provo East Peak.
Looking west from Freedom PeakView looking west. From left to right. Maple Mountain, Y Mountain, Squaw Peak, and in the foreground LionHead and Peak 8753.
Atop Freedom PeakRelaxing on the summit of Freedom Peak.

Finding the Summit Registry

I had read the comments left by vanman98 on the climber's log for Freedom Peak, so I knew that there was a registry up there. Just like he had mentioned, a foot or so south of the summit cairn, I found a small glass jar with a rusted lid tucked under a bunch of rocks. What we found inside was the coolest thing I'd seen in a summit registry. It dated back to 1976, and back then, it apparently went by the informal name of Storm Mountain. Freedom Peak, as it is officially known was given it's current name back in 2005.
Storm Mountain AKA Freedom PeakThe summit registry on Freedom.
Freedom Peak RegistryNotice the date and also the name of the mountain.


The views were spectacular in all directions, especially looking toward Provo Peak. After some pictures, and perusing the registry, we made our way down. I'm determined to hike it next summer with additional registry paper, larger summit container, and more utensils. I left my calling card, a FedEx pen next to the container since the pen was too long to put in the bottle. One of the coolest things was when I opening the jar, it smelled like an old library book. Very nifty. This was a wonderful hike. We made it to the summit in a little under 2.5 hours. Roundtrip was about 6.5 miles, for just Freedom. Going to Shingle after Freedom is only additional mile or so, a nice relaxing hike compared to Freedom's ridge traverse. It's definitely a hike that I will plan on doing each summer!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Oct 9, 2009 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice!

Nice report and pictures... anybody done, or know of the difficulty, of going from say Shingle Mill over Freedom all the way over to Provo Peak as a ridge traverse?

aprovance

aprovance - Oct 16, 2009 12:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks! I read on the Freedom Peak registry of a group that hiked from Freedom to Provo Peak as a ridge traverse, although to me, the traverse from Freedom to the unnamed peak just north of Provo East Peak looked very dicey. From what I read I know that it's been done, and I would love to try that ridge traverse, but looks like I'll have to wait til next summer.

Heaton

Heaton - Nov 13, 2009 9:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Storm Mtn renamed??

Thanks Adam for the e-mail. I'm sorry to see that Storm Mountain has been renamed (by who?) but it's good to see some pictures again. I was in graphic arts at Provo High in the mid 1970s and printed registers to put on all the mountaintops in the area. I'm glad that some are still there.

Once I did a crazy one-day traverse of Coral Mtn, Provo Peak, Storm Mtn, Shingle Mill Peak, and all the way across Cascade Mtn and ended up clinging to a pipe in the dark as I descended into Provo Canyon. A friend was with me but bailed off at Lightnihg Ridge.

aprovance

aprovance - May 22, 2011 6:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Storm Mtn renamed??

That sounds like a VERY long day! Some of the stretches from Freedom/Storm Mountain to Provo Peak look rather sketchy, was it as sketchy as it looks, what do you remember being the hardest part? What route did you choose to descend Cascade to reach Provo Canyon?

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Sep 29, 2012 1:26 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Storm Mtn renamed??

I would also like to know what the ridge is like from Freedom Peak to East Provo Peak as I am contemplating a traverse.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Freedom PeakTrip Reports