Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Amazing

This TR has a large amount of great photos. Probably single TR with best pictures that I have seen in a long time. Thank you for posting...and DAMN you have done a lot of climbing while in Peru. Well done!

rgg

rgg - Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing

Thanks. At first, with the poor weather, getting good photos didn't seem likely, but it got better and better. And as for all that climbing... well, it wás four months!

markhallam

markhallam - Feb 17, 2013 2:36 am - Voted 10/10

The Peak Monster strikes again!

Another engaging account and great photos - I would second Vitaliy M's sentiment about "a lot of climbing..." - still getting over meeting you in Chamonix to find in 3 months you had just climbed nearly as many alpine summits as I had climbed in 40 years!
Berg Heil Sir
Mark

rgg

rgg - Feb 19, 2013 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Peak Monster strikes again!

Actually, it took me a bit longer to fully recover from those three months in the Alps than from the four in Peru, because in Peru, I had more rest. A part of that was because I was traveling, or in town organizing the next trip, but more importantly, on the multi-day trips, quite a few days were not all that long. Chopi is a case in point: the first two days, getting to moraine camp and high camp respectively, are not exhausting at all.

In the Alps, if you want to, you can climb a mountain every day - and often even more than one - thanks to the good infrastructure, especially all the refuges. Often I would hike and climb for days on end before taking I rest day. And while ascending every day was fine, I think that perhaps I overdid it with all the descents. Sure, I enjoyed it, so I kept doing it, but my knees where a bit less happy, they got more and more sensitive. And while that didn't stop me, after I got back home, it took a couple of months before they finally felt the way they did before.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'From a vanished trail on Chopicalqui to a freeway on Pisco - Four months in Peru, Part VII' main page