From Lost Park Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.37150°N / 105.7408°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Silverheels
Graceful Mount Silverheels rises between the towns of Como and Fairplay. | 25 Dec 2012

This simple route is best saved for winter when the crowds are thinner and the roads are more than likely snowed closed.  In fresh powder, this is a mellow snow romp and a nice way to stretch the legs when you are short on time, happen to be in the area or just want to sleep in and take it easy.  The route follows a system of Forest Service roads for most of its duration except for a minor off-trail segment to find the actual highpoint.  The views from the top of this mellow little mountain will not disappoint!

Special note: This area is popular with elk hunters in the fall and winter months.  Have your dog on leash, wear some bright colors, and if you encounter hunters, make sure they are aware of your presence (i.e. when you’re out in the sticks, don’t sneak up on the guy with the “big pickup truck and the .30-06”).


<b>RoundtripDistance: </b> 2 miles

<b>ElevationGain: </b> 325 feet

<b>YDSClass: </b> 1+



Getting There


Parking
Parking
        • From Hwy 285 near Jefferson, turn east on CR 56 (Lost Park Road) which turns into FSR 56.
          Lost Park Road
          Lost Park Road
        • Follow CR 56 / FSR 56 for just over 3 miles.
        • Turn right on FSR 130 and park.



In the dry season, you can drive to within a few feet of the summit, if that is your preference.




Route Map

CO 130
CO 130

Route Map
Map designed Feb 2013, based on GPS track.

To the Peak
Turnoff to summit


Route Description

 
The Twin Cones
The Twin Cones
 
Mosquito Range
Mosquito Range
 
Walking along FRS 130
Walking along FRS 130
 
Beginning the Descent
Beginning the Descent


Essentially, this route follows FSR 130 all the way to within a few feet of the summit. In reality, however, this area is a bit of a rabbit warren of roads, not all of which are marked.

•From the parking at the junction of FRS 56 and FRS 130, head uphill to the south. Crest the gentle ridge – you may notice a small dirt road leading to an informal campsite on your right.
•Head down a gentle hill into the drainage that includes Clark Spring. Here, contrary to what many maps represent, there is actually a sizeable road junction.
•Turn right, heading up a hill out of the drainage (staying on FRS 130, though there likely is no signage).
•After a brief climb, most of the elevation gain is behind you and the views really start to pop.
•Near the highest point in the road, look for a short turnoff on the right that may be marked “No motor vehicles.”
•Follow this to the summit, marked by a small cairn with a summit register sitting among scrub oak and sapling aspen.

Essential Gear

 
Down into the Gulch
Down into the Gulch
 
Puma Hills
Puma Hills

•Map & compass and/or GPS
•Comfortable hiking boots or shoes
•Outerwear appropriate to the season
•Snowshoes or skis in snow season
•Water and snacks
•A camera to save memories of the high country views
•First aid kit
•Other standard backcountry essentials




External Links

If you have any trip reports of other external resources related to this route, please notify me via Additions and Corrections and I'll add it here.  Thanks!




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UN 10190Routes