From Moiry Dam

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.13700°N / 7.53530°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


- From Sion, A9 motorway, Sierre-Est exit. Follow Val d'Anniviers, Vissoie, Grimentz. Park your car near the Dam (2349 m), reached from Grimentz (8 km).

- Postal bus to the dam.

Route Description


Cross in western direction the Moiry dam and follow the trail to Torrent alpine pasture (2481 m).
The hike through the meadows of Torrent is easy and leads you to the Autannes lake (2686 m). "Autannes" means "august pastures". Mirrored on the waters of the lake, you will behold the scenery whose dominant features are the Dent Blanche and the Grand Cornier, to which you can add the mountains surrounding Zinal. These are the last grass patches before huge debris deserts.
Higher the path becomes steaper and leads you unmistakably to the Col de Torrent. At the top, on the other side of the col, your eyes are suddenly filled with le Pigne d'Arolla and many other mountains. The village of Haudères, in the Val d'Hérens (Arolla), lies below.

Follow the ridge in northern direction on the western side (Hérens side) and climb over loose rockfields to the summit of Sasseneire.
If you follow the ridge, you have to climb a rock step of 3 meters (easy climb).

Time from Moiry to Torrent collar : 2 h 45
Time from Collar to the summit : 1 h


Essential Gear


If snow fields remain ofter the Torrent collar, crampons can be usefull.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.