Frostbite Comments

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks...

for the photos and the write-up Bob. Although the earlier photos are a bit graphic, they show the progress and healing process very well. I have no doubt keeping your injuries from getting infected was an ordeal in itself. It's good to know that you have recovered and still follow your mountaineering passion.

Marc

splattski - Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Up is off

It says so on Brian's helmet!

ywardhorner

ywardhorner - Jul 11, 2013 8:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent Article

And a good warning for others. Thanks!

markhallam

markhallam - Jul 14, 2013 5:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing this

I agree - a good warning, to all of us. I have taken the liberty of linking your piece to my Expedition Medicine page - hope that is OK.
best wishes
Mark

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Jul 16, 2013 2:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Research

Wow...outstanding (and painful) practical research!

happyjulie - Aug 1, 2013 11:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Warning!

While I'm only a three season mountain adventurer, the section on staying hydrated was a neon light. Actually, everything revolving around decisions made around pride really hit home. Thanks so much!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Aug 2, 2013 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Inspiring information ...

Happy Trails out there, Bob!

I'll remember this the next time I visit Alaska! Thanks ..

careyjd - Mar 30, 2016 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thanks for the info sir, much appreciated. Do you mind elaborating briefly on the mountain, elevation, time of year and conditions?

reboyles

reboyles - Mar 30, 2016 3:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

We were on Idaho's highest mountain, Mt Borah 12,662'+. It took part of two days Jan 7-8, 1977. The temperature was sub-zero at the bottom of the mountain and much colder on top. For most of our climb the summit was in an ice cloud and the wind was blowing hard. It was pure dumb luck, but the cloud blew off around 8:00 PM leaving us a full moon and cloudless sky for the descent. The clear sky brought even colder temperatures but the wind quit which was a good trade off. The face has not had a second winter ascent since ours. We climbed in a historic low water year and the lack of snow made it safe. In a normal winter it'd be a very risky climb due to high avalanche risk.

Bob

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Frostbite' main page