Fuente Dé-Normal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.17885°N / 4.82974°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The popular wlak-up to the Collado de Horcados Rojos is the route to climb the peak in a few of minutes from the col. One of the best approach to know the Picos de Europa, advisable for all the people. The mountaineers can to link the climb with the nice Pico Tesorero, a little bit hardest, in the same day.

Getting There

See the main page to approach to Cable of Fuente Dé.
Schedule of Cable:
-Spring-Summer: 9:00 to 20:00
-Autumm-Winter: 10:00 to 18:00 (change in october or the last days of september)
Be carefull with this, the change it's not always the same day each year. It's necessary to search the information the previous days.

Route Description

Normal route to H.RojosNormal route

Time to summit: 2h 15min.
Slope: 690m.

From the cable (1835m) we'll take the track in north direction. Nowadays is very good signaled the path with yellow-white paint (it's the only path, the others are not signaled as La Padirona, Peña Vieja, Tesorero, Cabaña Verónica... the map is very usefull to see the other routes but not for the popular Horcados Rojos. We'll follow a wide track with use for jeeps to the nearest Hotel de Aliva and for the former mines. The track goes to the valley of Horcadina de Covarrones (1925m, 15-20 min) with a signal of bifurcation. We'll turn to left side (right side is indicated as "hotel de Aliva" and left as "Col de horcados rojos") for the same itinerary of a lot of people that walk to popular col of Horcados rojos (with marvelous view of Naranjo de Bulnes). We'll leave the track in the point that turn to left side (signaled with cairns and more paint) in a place called "La Vueltona" (a great curve). We'll follow the evident path in the stones under Peña Olvidada and Peña Vieja and the zig-zag among the rocks to reach the bifurcation at 2220m (1h). In the crosspath a rock with yellow paint indicating Horcados Rojos (left) and Peña Vieja (right). After a new path among the stones (attention in foggy days to the paint) we'll reach the Col of Horcados Rojos (2344m). The view of Picu Urriellu is marvelous from this place and a lot of people stand in the col. We'll turn to right (S.E.) to get the path in zig-zag. Always evident in 20 minutes more we'll reach the pre-summit. The access of the summit it's a simple walk-up but a little bit exposed specially if had some of snow.

Essential Gear

Nothing special in spring-summer.
In winter it's necessary the use of crampons and ice-axe. It's possible the use of ski to make the route (be carefull in the descent in all the range of Picos de Europa with the holes calleds "jous", out of the paths).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.