Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.63720°N / 106.4387°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 2, 2005
I picked up my friend Jay at 8 am and headed out for the mountain. The drive was very fast for most of the trip except through the small towns, which was probably a good thing because we almost missed the turnoff to the Red Canyon Campgrounds at the town of Manzano. We arrived at the trailhead at 9:30 after some fun skids on the dirt road up to it. By accident, we took the horseback trail off track and didn’t realize our mistake for quite some time. Fortunately, the trail remained pretty close to the main one and we spotted it through the trees and managed to make our way back. Once we got onto the Red Canyon Trail, it became a simple climb straight up to the intersection with the Crest Trail. We went beyond the sign, up to the ridge, and continued north. The scramble on the rocks was extremely fun and challenging to navigate. The summit was bare and littered with ladybugs and flying ants. We settled for lunch below the summit on the north side and enjoyed the view for fifteen minutes. We blazed the trail on the way down and got back to the car at 1 pm and back home by 2:30 pm.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gallo PeakTrip Reports