Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.77449°N / 121.67405°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2740 ft / 835 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

     "Gambol Knob" is a small, wooded foothill that will only appeal to the hardcore peakbagger.  Nestled inside vast tracts of logging paradise, this peak offers only limited views and limited bragging rights.  However, if one has the disease and off-season desperation, it can deliver a small workout and a temporary fix.




Gambol Knob
Gambol Knob




Getting There

     The route to the base of the knob begins by taking highway 2 east about 13 miles from Monroe.  Just past mile marker 33 there will be a gated gravel road on the right side; this is FR 62, or Proctor Creek rd. Unless you have a key you will park off to the side at the gate and walk or bike your way up.  If the gate is open you can enter in at your own risk because of the possibility of the gate being locked .  Stay on the main line for about 6 miles, avoiding any spur roads or turn offs until you pass Lake Cavanaugh and come to a second gate.  Another couple hundred yards past the gate you will see a spur rd on the right. This will take you to the base of the knob. (If you find yourself on a rutted, overgrown spur rd, keep going on the main line to the proper spur).



Route

     From the spur rd, find the path of least resistance through some brush before entering open timber on the lower slopes.  Aim for a saddle on the right shoulder of Gambol and do a counter-clockwise rising traverse.  Once on the ridge above the saddle, turn left and follow the ridge up to the top.  You may have to drop off the ridge at times to avoid some cliffy areas.  At the top are some limited views of Persis.







Unnamed Image





Unnamed Image



Unnamed Image

Red Tape

Active logging area.  Gates can be closed and locked at any time.

When to Climb

Any time. 




Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.