Viewing: 1-7 of 7
evolution_star

evolution_star - Jan 30, 2007 7:02 pm - Voted 9/10

Sounds like a solid Adventure.

Sounds like you guys had quite the 5 day trip. I am hoping to come from the other side of gannett this summer. Our trip last year fell through.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jan 31, 2007 2:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sounds like a solid Adventure.

We did have a great trip. I love the Wind River Range. That area is incredibly beautiful. Good luck with your climb next year.

bpetnoi

bpetnoi - Sep 4, 2007 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Kilimanjaro in 2008

climbed the peak the very next day behind you and had a great time. I understand the bridge fell 4 days later. I tried again this year at the end of August knowing the bridge was out, but the distance between the Bergshrund and the face was so great we could not cross. Don't plan to ever go again knowing the bridge is out as I dont' rock climb or do steep snow faces like the approach up the shaft to the south of Gooseneck

Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 6, 2007 9:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kilimanjaro in 2008

I wonder if we saw you on our way out. Did you approach from the north or the south...?

dangerjones

dangerjones - Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Hey Man

Haven't written since Borah? I think. Hope you have a great time in Sierra Country. I'm trying to figure out how to escape and go do Whitney soon. It looks mellow, high, and fun.
In 2011 I did Kings and then Gannett. We went alpine style. Lot's of moisture on Kings. big snow year. Gannett was just awesome. Unfortunately a fellow perished after falling from the summit ridge. I felt the snow was getting too soft and we were out of there by 11am.
We came in from Pinedale.
Luckily, my partners were very strong 23 year olds. We went very fast, and packed up and got out in three days total.

PetraDiamond5 - Feb 20, 2023 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

2nd trail head on private land further up the road!

If you stop in at the library in riverton... they have all of the 7.5 min topo sheets in a metal map cabinet. and there is another trail head further up the road with parking on private land... where you can access and connect with the main trail all off of res land.

Even so I would either let the indians guide and pack me in and out if I was so inclined... however... it's expensive and there are two water crossings on this side that can be problematic if you are walking in early in the season.

making the pinedale side my first choice to walk in. more people and more chances to get help if ever needed. both sides are apx 20 miles one way.

Alpinist

Alpinist - May 21, 2023 6:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 2nd trail head on private land further up the road!

Thanks for the intel. Note that it is definitely a shorter approach from from the Cold Springs trailhead. (It's about 16 miles vs 20 from Pinedale.) The other big advantage of going in via Cold Springs is that it avoids going up and over Bonnie Pass on summit day.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Gannett Peak, the Easy Way' main page