Viewing: 1-20 of 20

edl - Aug 18, 2006 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Suggestions!

One other item to bring is a small personal FM radio with headphones. FM reception is great, especially higher on the mountain. You'll do a lot of tent time, and I find that listening to the radio is more relaxing than reading. Or get an MP3 player with lots of audio books. Get one that uses "AAA" batteries so you can carry some spares. An Ipod with only rechargable batteries will go dead on you long before the end of the trip.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 19, 2006 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Suggestions!

Thanks edl. I added your suggestion! All are welcome to add their suggestions and experiences here. I want to make a good resource for people going to Denali. Thanks for the help!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 18, 2006 7:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks for the idea!

I did bring an MP3 but didn't use it that much. I mostly soaked in the beauty. Not something I thought I would do. I'll consider adding that to the suggestions. There are alot of things I have to add... Especially like the radio idea. It is surprising that you can get signal there. I recall hearing some playing it. Jess Roskelly brought a DVD player and we watched Jeremiah Johnson in the Irish Tent. Kind of cool!

edl - Aug 19, 2006 4:09 am - Hasn't voted

Little details

Yea, it's amazing how the little details add up on a trip like this. A small thing like an FM radio can really make a big mental difference. I climbed in Argentina with a guy that had a necklace that had lib balm, a lighter, small knife and things like that stuck to it. Looked goofy as hell, but it really made sense. At 20,000 ft, you really don't want to have to be always digging in your pack for that stuff. Even little things like a stuck zipper or a broken shoe lace can be major headache at elevation.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the Loki jackets with the built in gloves and face shields. Constantly having to adjust a face shield or keep pulling your mitten cuffs over your jacket sleeves seems like such a minor thing, but it can really start wearing you down physically and mentally. I’m going to have to look into these jackets more closely.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 19, 2006 8:25 am - Hasn't voted

thanks. more....

No reason to not have a back up for mitts or a neck gaiter. For me, it was a neccessary luxury.

I also had my knife shock-corded to one cargo pocket of may pants, and a lighter to another. dummy cords. Key as well.

clarkr

clarkr - Aug 20, 2006 11:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Info

Enjoyed the article, very informative. The ice box igloo has peaked
my interest. That might be one of my next investments.

Denali, I guess right now for me would be a dream.

Glad you had a great trip, and thanks again for the info.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 21, 2006 9:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Info

Thanks for reading...I have more to add the more I think about the trip.
Denali is a dream! I still owe a bit on it...I think the main thing gear wise is that is different is teh big jacket, some insulated pants, and a warmer bag, maybe an upgrede tent. Stuff you and I might never use again.

I strongly recommend the box. Denali snow is such that an igloo can be built by "cut block" technique. I would practice as much as possible and learn the techniques and get a feel for the snow types. We had 3 hrs. per day that made snow "maluable" enough to pack the blocks. Once it was made...heaven! I have heard of some parties attempting to only use igloos. I do not recommend this. If you could learn how to build cut block, that would save you four pounds, but conditions are rare in the lower 48.

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Aug 21, 2006 4:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Info

All good suggestions. The hand sanitizer is very important on a mountain like Denali for keeping things sanitary. You might want to add in 2 packs of non-alcohol containing baby wipes. They work well for cleaning all your private areas and for general bathing in the tent every week or so to keep smell to a minimum.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 21, 2006 9:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Info

You have some nice pis of Denali by the by. Thanks!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 21, 2006 9:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Yes. Good idea but could be more trash than you want to deal with.

I think we brought some wipes, but mostly used the liquid. I kept a small bottle of liquid in my cargo pockets at all times and used it alot! The trash you pack out won't be very nice to deal with either...you could throw it in the pit toilets but I'd avoid trash wherever possible.

1mvertical

1mvertical - Aug 23, 2006 1:55 am - Voted 10/10

This is the kind of information I am looking for.

This was a great article for me in planning my own Denali adventure. Thanks for taking the time to share.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 24, 2006 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

I wrote for YOU!

I hope this helps. Ask anything anytime! I'd love to relive this experience and make it better for you if I can!

steste

steste - Aug 24, 2006 6:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for...

.... sharing your experiences. A lot of precious informations in your suggestions.
Steste

zenalpinist

zenalpinist - Aug 28, 2006 7:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Ice box

Yes, the Ice Box is great. After this early winter months, I hope to have a nice article detailing our use with this great device. Have built several igloos around in Colorado in mid-to-late conditions, but need some early season data/experience. A must-have for extended base camps...not too useful on one or two day, alpine-style pushes; use a small footprint tent.

ps: good article, look to be heading to Denali once grad-school is done.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 29, 2006 7:16 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

I added to the suggestions. More. I'll edit that and add more soon. thanks!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Sep 6, 2006 6:12 am - Hasn't voted

Igloooo fun for the family tooo.

We made five igloos before Denali to train. I thought they were fun to build. The sirst one in cold sugar/powder January snow took 12 hours but lasted nearly all winter and was great fun for kids and all to stop off during a ski tour! The fastest and last one we made was in spring glop on top of Red Mountain Pass near Ouray. That one took 1 hour 45 minutes! True they are "functionally" superior for base camps, but they are also "fun" for the fun of it!

giggy

giggy - Sep 19, 2006 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

loki!!

nice article!! - I have the 2005 myth soft shell and have used it on rainier/shasta and hood as well as the past 2 winters in the whites (NH) - read: COLD!! (ok - maybe not as cold as denali)

great product - my only regret is I wished i waited to buy the 2005 version - cuz the 2006 looks better!! darn....


thanks again - I hope someday to get up there myself.
Very useful article.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Sep 22, 2006 5:35 am - Hasn't voted

Thank you!!!

Have I perhaps seen a photo or heard from you in the Whites?

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 31, 2007 1:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Fuel

This is a very useful article. Thanks for posting it. How much fuel did you use per person, and where did you purchase it?

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 2, 2007 10:45 am - Hasn't voted

fuel from memory

We took four cans of gas for the trip. As I recall we purchased fuel from Talkeetna Air. We left some at the air strip. I do recall recieving perhaps another can worth of fuel in various containers as well as a variety of food from descending parties. We probably would have been fine with out extra, but we did pitch in for massive amounts of tea with the Irish Team.

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Gear for the West Butress Route of Denali' main page