Granite Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 58.33558°N / 134.3006°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Granite Creek Route starts on the Perseverance Trail. After about 3 miles from the trailhead, the Granite Creek trail branches off to the left/north. The Granite Creek Trail then climbs for more than two miles to Granite Creek Basin and continues off trail on Salmon Ridge to Observation Peak. As of 2017, trail maintenance is being done to improve the Granite Creek trail. Its looking GREAT! 

Keep a lookout for hoary marmots, spruce grouse, and wild flowers. Avalanche danger may persist until late spring, and large snow banks may be present on the steep sections of this trail.

Olds Mountain Route
Olds Mountain Route

 

Getting There

To access the trail to Mount Juneau from downtown Juneau, you must first access the well known Perseverance Trail. To get there, take Gold Street to Basin Road and follow it to the end.

Route Description

The beginning of the route follows the heavily used Perseverance Trail. The trail originally accessed the Silverbow Mine which operated between 1885 and 1895 when the mill was destroyed by a snowslide. The mine reopened after 1900 and was used sporadically until 1921. The trail features old mining ruins, marmots, warblers, wild flowers, and views of Ebner falls. This trail is popular with bikers and joggers and is within easy walking distance of downtown. The Perseverance Trail follows a gentle grade on the north side of the valley. After a short while there is a view across the canyon to the Alaska Juneau Mine. In the area of Ebner Falls, which is worth a quick side trip, the trail to Mount Juneau branches left, continue another 2 miles till you see a sign for Granite Creek Trail.

Granite Creek Trailhead
Granite Creek Trailhead

 

Granite Creek trail is (as of 2017) being improved. Follow this trail into the basin and climb up the faint, but observable trail to the saddle on the Juneau Ridge. 

Looking up Granite Basin to Olds Mountain
Looking up Granite Basin to Olds Mountain

You are now at the base of Olds Mountain. Simply follow the ridge up the West side of Olds Mountain. Its a bit rocky and requires some scrambling, but nothing harder than class 3. from here you can go back the way you came or continue into Granite Creek and make a loop. 

Granite Creek Basin
Granite Creek Basin
Coming over the ridgeline
Coming over the ridgeline

The Summit area has ample room for finding a place to sit, relax, and soak up the views.

Summit Area
Summit Area

See attached .gpx for an exact route or check out the Juneau Hikes and Summits CalTopo page

Essential Gear

Dress appropriately. The rains are very consistent and can easily penetrate through your gear. I recommend dressing in clothing that can get wet and still keep you warm- wool works great. Then, above tree line, change into dry clothes and rain gear. Waterproof boots are necessary and gators help keep your socks dry. Having a SPOT or InReach is a great idea. Bring extra dry/warm stuff.

External Links

Tongass National Forest



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.