Gravel Springs Gap

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.77600°N / 78.2033°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


North Marshall is very accessible from Washington DC. From DC, you can either take 66 West to exit 13. Go west and follow signs for Shenandoah National Park, or enter from the South entrance, via 66 West, 29 South (from Gainesville) and 211 West to Thornton Gap. Take Skyline Drive to about milepost 17.5. This area is called Gravel Springs Gap (2655'). There is a parking area on the side of the road.

Mount Marshall (North and South Marshall  photo_id=131136
You come up the right side of South Marshall, and follow it down to the bottom of the ridge, and then continue up to North Marshall

Route Description


4 miles round trip
900' of elevation gain

You take the Appalachian Trail North. You have to cross skyline drive, across the street from the parking area, to reach the trail. You hike about 0.8 miles and 557' to reach South Marshall (3,212') and then follow the AT up to North Marshall. After you have hiked almost 1.3 miles, you will cross Skyline Drive, and continue on the AT. After reaching a high part of the mountain, with a view overlooking a cliff, hike up into the woods to find the summit. The summit is evident on the left of the trail, because the trail does not go any higher. The summit is a bunch of boulders in a small clearing. A USGS marker identifies this as the highest point.

Essential Gear


Standard gear for a day hike.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.