Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.59480°N / 107.7349°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8563 ft / 2610 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green Mountain is located in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in western Colorado and is the high point of Fruitland Mesa. It is reached by taking the North Vista Trail from the North Rim Campground. There is the opportunity for some of the country's best big wall climbing in the Canyon. The Canyon deserves it's own page. This page is strictly for Green Mountain. I would like to see pages dedicated to the great climbing opportunities in the park but that is best left to someone who has actually climbed in this spectacular canyon. The views of the Canyon from the summit are a sight to see indeed.


Amazing view from Exclamation Point along the North Vista Trail.


Getting There

Take Highway 92 east from Delta, Colorado or west from Highway 50 between Gunnison, Colorado and Montrose, Colorado to near Crawford, Colorado. Just south of Crawford, turn south on North Rim Road and follow signs to the North Rim section of the Park. The North Rim Road to the park is closed in the snow months which can start in fall and extend well into spring in this area so check status before heading out!

Camping

Available at the North Rim Campground for a fee. Bring your own firewood. Bring your own water early and late in the season.

Miscellaneous Info

Red Tape

National Park Fees entrance fees apply. The North Rim section of the Park is closed in winter. For current fees and status of North Rim, contact Park Headquarters at 1-970-641-2337 or go here.

When To Climb

Late Spring, Summer and early Fall. Contact Park Headquarters at 1-970-641-2337 on status of North Rim section.

Mountain Conditions

Check local weather at: local weather



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.