Grizzly Flat Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 2, 2007 4:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice page

Are there any amenities at the TH, such as drinking water, restrooms, camping, picnic tables, etc...?

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 2, 2007 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Thanks. Your question reminded me that I neglected to mention what's at the trailhead. The answer is nothing. It's just a dirt parking area with a tree, a sign and fire road gate at the start. A bare bones trailhead.

Augie

Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 2, 2007 5:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice page

Thank for the update. It's helpful to know.

Ze

Ze - Jan 9, 2009 11:26 pm - Hasn't voted

poison oak!

I did a hike up to Lukens from Vogel flats via the grizzly flat trail. I had real trouble at first following the trail across a few stream crossings. Once I got on the trail after leaving the stream bed, there was just a ton of poison oak. I hate poison oak.

The Grizzly Flat area is nice, if only because the poison oak ends there. I ended up running up the rest of the way to Lukens. I didn't have any books/maps with me, so didn't know where the Stone Canyon trail was, so I had to go down the same way. Oh how we learn.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 10, 2009 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: poison oak!

Having done trail runs brushing against poison oak for years, I think I'm not nearly as sensitive to the oils as I originally was. These days, I notice that if my legs brush only slightly against the foul plant I won't get a reaction.

zarka - Aug 13, 2012 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Death at Grizzly Flat

I found a dead hiker in Vasquez Creek on June 30, 2012. After reviewing much information including his intended route from his work computer, it is clear to me that extremely poor trail conditions, hot weather, and inadequate water were the major factors in his death. His mapped route is exactly correct, but there are NO signs and NO websites giving current trail conditions. The trail has not been maintained since the Station Fire, and there are more trees falling down all the time. It's really hard to find the trail, even when you know where it is. The poor man ended up in Vasquez creek, missing one shoe and his glasses, and descended unsafely down eight waterfalls before he died. You can get water here but you can't get out. Sadly, had he found the right trail, there was also water available there on the west fork of Vasquez creek. The trail has weeds over your head. We trampled some with search and rescue, but it is terrible.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 14, 2012 12:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Death at Grizzly Flat

I heard about this tragic outcome via Sierra Club postings. Sounds like he would have needed canyoneering gear and skills to survive where he was. Thanks for posting here. I'll do an edit on the page so that people will be aware of current conditions on this trail.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Grizzly Flat' main page