Gros Morne Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.35000°N / 57.47°W
Additional Information Route Type: serious scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike up with class II-III sections
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The parking lot is located 7km east of Rocky Harbour. To get to Gros Morne: take highway 1 from either Pont Aux Basques or from St. John's... up to Deer Lake, where you jump on the 430 to the Northern Section of the park. From here follow park signs or ask park staff to get to the appropriate section and park.

Route Description


More commonly referred to as the James Callaghan Trail the route is 16km (10mi) roundtrip, rises 650m (2100ft) and takes from 6-9 hours depending on one's level of fitness. The first 4km takes you past a cluster of small ponds to the base of the mountain. The next section is the shortest of the hike but it is the most challenging. The trail rises upwards 500meters in this one section up, over and around a steep boulder gully to gain access to the highland plateau. Towards the top there is a lot of loose scree so be careful. Along the way expect to pass through several vegetation zones as things change rapidly here even over very short periods of time and distance. Also the temperature can drop 10-15 degrees (celsius) over this short distance so come prepared. At the top of the gully follow the stone cairns to the summit proper where you will be rewarded with some of the best views anywhere of 10 mile pond and the fjord arms of Bonnie Bay.
The vegetation is very vulnerable as this is one of the most fragile ecosystems on earth so please stay on the trail and resist making any cairns of your own... and of course pack in what you pack out.

Essential Gear


Drinking water and food, plus all weather gear as the weather is hyper dynamic and changes rapidly from moment to moment. Sturdy, stiff heeled hiking boots and either a alpenstock or poles would be very useful on both the ascent and the descent.
There are campsites for up to nine people or three tents at Ferry Gulch if overnight camping is desired.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.