Harpers Corner

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.45600°N / 109.2144°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class-1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to the trailhead drive to the park headquarters of Dinosaur N.M., which is a few miles east of the town of Dinosaur, CO (Dinosaur is located on Highway 40 just east of the Utah border). Drive north on the Harpers Corner road for 31 miles to the Harpers Corner trailhead.


Route Description


This is the alternate route to a very spectacular viewpoint for those who can't read a topo or have the energy to climb to the summit of South Split Mountain. This hike has some of the best views per ratio of effort of hiking anywhere. The trail has some minor ups-and-downs, but is easy. Bring the kids! From the trailhead, the trail heads north along a spectacular cliffs to one of the best viewpoints anywhere. There are several numbered loactions along the way that match a brochure to point out vegitation and geology. There are several fossils along the way. After one mile, you will find yourself at the breathtaking Harpers Corner. The Park Service sign claims that this is the best view in the national park system. You can look down Whirlpool Canyon to the main Split Mountain area. The overlook is 2500 feet above the Green River. This is also one of the best places anywhere to observe the folded rocks of an anticline.

Essential Gear


A good pair of boots is needed.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.